Keyword

TOPIC:

Mod / Drag Tractor 2 years 7 months ago #68139

I thought the next thing to do was the bodywork ... first attempt in cereal box card looked too top heavy, 2nd (with blue top) better but still not right.

I then though it would be better to make  the bodywork to fit the engine, rather than make an engine to fit the orifice. I already have plans for a V8 engine - the 50s Ford Y-block in the "scratchbuilding" articles section, so just resized the plans by 240% for cartoon effect ... 

The plugs were not very robust on the original, but I installed the void tubes before putting the lid on the heads this time. Valvegear covers started with boxes made from 2mm thick sheet...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, silvertriple, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mod / Drag Tractor 2 years 7 months ago #68140

... boxes sanded to shape & details added.

Heads are glued on to the crankcase (note warp on one side :whistle: to fill later), covers are screwed on, exhaust pipes will come later, as will the velocity stacks ... trying to think of a lighter/easier method than turning them from solid aluminium.

Note the size comparison with the 1:12ish engine :D The bodywork will need some modification ....

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

Mod / Drag Tractor 2 years 7 months ago #68159

That 1:12 engine looks small!!

Hehe, your engine must be something like 1:6 scale?
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Mod / Drag Tractor 2 years 7 months ago #68162

Or put 2 v8 or v12 Rolls-Royce 😁

Mod / Drag Tractor 2 years 7 months ago #68163

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
This thing is amazingly crazy, I love it.

Mod / Drag Tractor 2 years 7 months ago #68217

Made & fitted timing case & waterpump housing ... then thought it would be nice to have the fan spinning. A small motor (360 in this case) can double up for an alternator, pulleys & belts can transfer the power :)

I cut a big section off the bottom of the crankcase for access, shafts are from a re-re Frog / Brat (that replace the pressed MSC mount plate), running in 1260 metal ballraces, with further 1260 nylon bearings as spacers.

Lathe setup for the double sided idler, rest were similar but the motor pulley has a 2.5mm ID.

Motor mount, motor & pulleys fitted:

Sump & belts fitted, I used two 43mm/3mm O-rings as that's what I had (other than random rubber bands) but these are hard for that little motor to bend, and the motor to idler run is tighter than it needs to be. I hooked the motor up to a fresh 7.2v NiMH pack & it moves a lot of air :D but it would be better to see the fan spinning much slower. I hooked it up to my bench PSU, that maxed out at 6A but with the voltage dropping to around 2v (though set at up to 14v :blink: ) & the motor barely turning.

After a bit of maths & thinking, I've ordered some 55, 50, and 45mm, 2mm cross-section o-rings  to lighten the load on the motor.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

Mod / Drag Tractor 2 years 7 months ago #68221

Forgot to add that I did think about putting a vibro unit in there - I have a least 5 of them but made the mistake of storing them all together & now can't find them :(

I have another one on the way, but seeing how heavy this is getting I would have to spring mount it (rather than rubber mount) for anything to be apparent, so I'm not sure I'll bother. 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Mod / Drag Tractor 2 years 7 months ago #68222

Woohooo awesome Jonny. I love the idea of a spinning fan. Another level done. 👏👏👏

Mod / Drag Tractor 2 years 7 months ago #68296

Progress on engine - vibro unit installed:

Oil filter & housing, clutch bell housing & gearbox, plug caps, leads & distributor, exhaust headers:

Longer, 2mm o-rings as belts means the motor starts & runs on a single AA cell now :)

Some of the back of the gearbox will have to be removed, but I'm not sure how much yet.

Still have to make some sort of induction manifold + the velocity stacks ... I still don't want to have to turn 8 of them, so now thinking of making one cone & using that as a former for styrene.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

Mod / Drag Tractor 2 years 7 months ago #68300

Absolutely stunning Johnny!! 

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.