Keyword

TOPIC:

Mod / Drag Tractor 1 year 4 months ago #73159

Oooohh.....  You have a vacu-forming table thingo.  Very nice!

Just a wee (5") one - tamiyabase.com/...ng-machine :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Ducksnuts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mod / Drag Tractor 1 year 3 months ago #73204

I couldn’t find my bag of silicone wire – I know I had it very recently, fixing the electrics on an SRB chassis – but after looking where I thought I’d put it, the several places I could have put it, where it ought to be, and all the places it could of slid to (including the event horizon of the black hole that lives under my computer bench), I had to give up and order some fresh supplies, and sacrifice an XT60 extension lead from one of my Powerpal chargers to extend the ESC battery cable in the meantime, as I’d already been putting off starting the electrics on this for some time. 

I haven’t used my Hobbywing 60A ESC/5.5T motor combo for a long time, the last time I was still using 27/40mhz radio gear (all with BEC) IIRC, so I wanted to check what the red wire on the ESC to RX plug was putting out …  it’s not as bad as the TEU101BK ESCs (full battery voltage), the 2S Lipo I connected was outputting 8v, and the BEC(-ish) output from the ESC was 6.2v. Still, more than the 4.8 to 6v the (non-BEC) Planet Proteus RX is supposed to have, so I plumbed a cheap “BlueSky” 5v BEC into servo Y-lead, pulling the red pin out of the “THR” plug so the only voltage going into the ESC was the 5.2v the BEC unit was putting out. 

I thought it was safe to plug the RX in, so popped 4 AA cells in the TX & hooked things up. The throttle neutral was a tiny bit off & will require proper zeroing later, but the steering worked – and so did the throttle. You know how if you put a silly motor on a car, and when you “test” it by holding one driven wheel, so the motor spins just one wheel, and the tyre balloons up impressively, if unrealistically? This motor does that with both wheels left free to spin. If you hold one rear wheel, the only reason the other one doesn’t expand the 60mm needed to rub the wheelarches is that I didn’t glue the tyres down yet, so they spun out of the grooves on the wheel & lost traction. TBH I think it has 2.5 times the power you could ever need in a fast, light, well set up Lunchbox that you didn’t mind sacrificing. For this build, it’ll be spectacular at full throttle – but probably only once  :D 

After some confusion as to which of the extra TX controls maps to which set of pins on the RX – and the pinout of the switch unit itself -  while trying to get a reading on the voltage the radio controlled switch outputs, I dug into the spares box & tried a pair of LEDs I’d wired for much higher voltage a long time ago, so my trying thing ‘till they worked approach had a visible result. Once I got it worked out, I got a reading of 5.6v. 

ESC, capacitor pack & switch will live where they are I think, but there are lots of things left to do - fit covers to the front & rear compartments, locate the RX & switch in the rear, route the steering servo cable better, tidy all the existing wiring, wire up some LEDs for head & tail-lights, fit an AA battery holder in the front compartment (& a switch somewhere), wire up the fanbelt & engine vibro motors. And, at some point, remove it all so I can dismantle for spraying. 

NB I could get one of my 6v Tamiya “packed” batteries (packed with 2200mAH 2S Lipos) – or even one of my repurposed 7.2v “hump” packs, but it’ll be so much easier to fit everything else if I stick with the wee 1300mAH, 30C 2S lipo – the runtime isn’t likely to be an issue :D

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Al, Ducksnuts

Mod / Drag Tractor 1 year 3 months ago #73213

This on full tilt will be something like watching a styrene tornado 

Mod / Drag Tractor 1 year 3 months ago #73266

Electrics finished - though not necessarily routed properly yet - and hatches finished. The front has a cutout in the shut at the right rear corner to improve access for fitting the nuts on the back of the vibro motor/fan motor switch; rear hatch hinges on one side & has a shut only on the other, as anything more would make the slot too small to get any electronics in there.

That _should_ be it, other than dismantling and paint ;) , but the fan & vibro motors seem a little low on two alkaline cells, so I think I'm going to look into fitting a single 18650 lipo cell & rheostat instead.

It also seems way too quiet ... I was quite critical of high revving, Stunt Car Racer full throttle jump V8 sound of the ESS-One module when it came out, but in this case would be very appropriate. There's also a big, horn shaped void in the seat back that would make a good home for one :D

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Ducksnuts

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.