Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #5646

I've seen quite a bit of your craftsmanship by now but you still manage to surprise me. Excellent work. :)

Ta. I was quite chuffed at how that turned out :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #5664

I can't remember where, but I read that you shouldn't use black for scale details as it can be too intense & therefore make things look too toy like... with the exception of the "Oxy" bottle there, I used XF-69 "NATO Black" instead (which is more like a very dark grey) - not sure if it looks "better", but it still looks black ... I've also bought a pot of XF-85 "Rubber Black" - not used it yet but at least it's vaguely amusing in American English ;)

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #5682

Your status has been bumped up... Lars, Edou, this man needs a "Grand Master Deluxe Craftsman" award. If you don't have one, it needs to be made in his honour...B)

JR, I thing you should start producing some of these scale items for sale. I'll buy them for sure. They 1 000 000 times better than the Proline stuff, No affence to Proline or their fans... :woohoo:

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #5684

Your status has been bumped up... Lars, Edou, this man needs a "Grand Master Deluxe Craftsman" award. If you don't have one, it needs to be made in his honour...B)

JR, I thing you should start producing some of these scale items for sale. I'll buy them for sure. They 1 000 000 times better than the Proline stuff, No affence to Proline or their fans... :woohoo:

I'm not a fan of Proline stuff myself - I understand they have some new sets coming out, but you see the same old gear on everyone's scaler - it's not as it there's any real option though as the parts are already finished...

Where they are always going to do better is where things need a lot of detail and/or compound curves - injection moulding is far superior to what I can do at home as I'm effectively limited to flat surfaces & simple adaptation of existing objects.

I think my main issue with Proline stuff though is the cost - I know there's the cost of the design & especially the tooling, and the paint & assembly processes - but once it's all rolling the cost of the materials is pennies -

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #5685

There might be another option - 3D printing. :huh:
That seems to be quite affordable these days...
More than the Pro-line prices you're quoting at least. :S

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #5688

There might be another option - 3D printing. :huh:
That seems to be quite affordable these days...
More than the Pro-line prices you're quoting at least. :S

I nearly got a job as a "3D printer" minder/finisher ... but TBH it looked more isolated, smelly & tedious than the job I had, so I didn't bother.

The big drawback for me is that I'd have do build something, then measure it all up, then draw it in AutoCAD or whatever - the things I've been building are "designed" on the cutting mat with a ruler ...

I don't really think it's that great a way of "productionising" anything you want to be cheap - from what I can see, things produced on a _quality_ machine will still be hugely expensive, and need a lot of finishing ... it's only really an option where you don't mind shelling out a fortune, because it's slightly cheaper than having it machined from solid, or have injection moulding shells made :S

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #5689

Check out these guys for 3D printing... B)

Shapeways

Posted simultaneously with the previous message btw... :whistle:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #5690

Now, as for selling bits I make ... I have thought about it, but there's a world of difference between doing it as a hobby / for fun & doing it for the money ...

For a start, you have to consider what someone would actually pay - taking the welding kit I've just made, the costs of the materials is quite a chuck to start with - probably

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #5691

Shapeways

That looks interesting ... especially the bit about uploading designs & getting a price ... will register &^ have a play :)

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #5692

Shapeways

That looks interesting ... especially the bit about uploading designs & getting a price ... will register &^ have a play :)

Pah, lost patience with it already ... but I did check out the prices :blink:

I guess they're OK if you have a one off design & no clue about how to make it, but as for doing things cheap enough for resale, no chance ...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.