Keyword

TOPIC:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 8 months ago #67460

I've had a sled of my to do list of scale items for some time - I've only just got a round to making one :whistle:

I wanted a traditional wooden sled rather than a modern plastic form, so modelled my plan on a Davos "Germina" sled - but double the size a "correct" 1:10 version would be.

Sides and plants are 3mm styrene, bent supports are 2mm.

Built, with the addition of a brass stringer, "metal" runners, and copper wire "rope":

It's not quite three times the work to build three, so now I'll have one to hand up in the scale garage, one to put on top of the Hagglund :D & one for spare.

the even (sort of) stack :)

I plan to get primer (and possibly a base coat of Buff) on fairly soon, but the wood grain & varnish can wait until winter :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 8 months ago #67492

Thanks to another dose of man 'flu (fever, sinus pain & horrific quantities of mucus :S ... I wouldn't mind so much, but I've been on pretty much a personal lockdown for 18 months & have been scrupulous about mask wearing and hand washing & this is the third time ...) I was pretty much bed ridden for 3 days, yesterday evening I felt a bit better so felt like doing something simple ...

My first "plywood" canoe was meant to go in the rafter of my scale garage, but ended up on the roof of the Valp, so I thought I'd have another go, with slightly amended proportions...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 8 months ago #67493

Enough "boards" cut from 1mm sheet to make three canoes:

Ribs fitted to port side:

... and starboard:

Base bonded on, to be cut to shape later:

Ditto for tops. On the mk.I the fore & aft ribs were sculpted, as were the tops - simpler closed boxes mean less issues with paint :)

Prow needed a bit of 1.6mm round rod adding to fill the gap:

:)

TBH posting this may be the sum total of my "effort" today ...
Attachments:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 8 months ago #67495

Keep safe Jonny. ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 8 months ago #67500

Have a speedy recovery Jonny!
I very much know what you mean wanting to do someting to cheer yourself up.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 8 months ago #67501

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
All the best Jonny, take care.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 8 months ago #67532

Any hope it was just going to be a another 48 hr bug  are fading, my sense of smell is down to about 5% though I put that down to being bunged up, and some things are tasting very odd - carrots are still carrots, but with a  very strong added component of the green in green peppers, milk is a combination of the smell of squashed grass you get in a marquee, and saddle soap :S  Nothing in the way of a cough though, so still thinking it's not the badword bat flu :whistle:

There are only so many naps I can take in a day, and Netflix is beginning to pall, so have still been getting a bit done ...

All extraneous bits sanded off the canoes:

Added a "keel" strip, and made my own half round "bumpers" by dremelling 3mm sheet: 

No paddles yet though :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 8 months ago #67534

Had a coffin (specifically that, the 8 sided box, not meaning any other sort of casket, even though the words seem to be used interchangeably) on the to do list for some time ... probably because it's a simple flat sided box ... 

Found a plan on t'internet & translate to metric, then 1:10 scale. Tops & bottoms are 1mm sheet with an inlay cut smaller so when the two parts are bonded together there's a step for the 1.5mm sides to fit in. 

My cutting could have been more accurate, so all the edges needed filling - I used Tamiya "basic type" putty & have to say I won't be buying that again, the shrinkage is appalling :S I've put a second trowel layer on, but it needs a third - which it's not going to get.

These are a very basic shape, but by the time I've stuck on some handles, a crucifix & a nameplate, and paint I think they will pass.

Attachments:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 8 months ago #67535

Attachments:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 2 years 8 months ago #67538

Lovely coffin. 

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.