Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #5840

Not very happy with the prototype radiator core really, but I couldn't think of a better way of doing it that still gave some airflow ...

Outside & inside layers made from 3mm wide strips of 1.5mm styrene sheet, one has a "double layer" of strips at the top, the other at the bottom so they'll come together in a "hit & miss" way, making the thing hopefully look a bit more solid/dense ...

3mm sheet "frame":

"Sides" hiding the nasty looking stacks at the end:

... it's currently setting while being clamped by 6 clothes pegs, I'll give it a bit of filler later, rub down tomorrow am, hopefully the fans will come soon so I can carry on ...

Cost so far:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #5857

Back to 0 degree weather here - that's C, not F :whistle: - so priming is off the cards for a few days at least I guess :(

Oh well, more time to make the 2nd & 3rd rad :)

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #5858

Has anyone else used both Squadron/MMD "White Putty" & "Green Putty" - I have & TBH am not clear on when you're supposed to use one rather than the other ...

My experience has been that the "green putty" is green, denser and seems coarser than the white, has less solvent in it (so melts the plastic less), initially sets faster but has an equal curing time, and is a little harder to sand.

The "white putty" on the other hand seems thinner & runnier & gives a slightly longer working time.

I'm not sure which is best TBH - I think in general I'd use the white, although I suspect the green will be more knock resistant...

From the descriptions on the squadron.com website though, it seems the only differences are that the white doesn't officially need primer afterwards:

White: "Fine grain filler ideal for eliminating seams, sink holes and recontouring. This putty dries hard, has little shrinkage and sands smooth. The white color formula makes it easy to paint over without primer"

Green: Fine grain filler ideal for eliminating seams, sink holes and recontouring. This putty dries hard, has little shrinkage and sands smooth. Original green color formula, time - tested to provide reliable results for all resurfacing needs.

???

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #5880

I'd say the proof is in the pudding...
Any clues on the tube itself maybe - when it comes to contents?

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #5882

I'd say the proof is in the pudding...
Any clues on the tube itself maybe - when it comes to contents?

There's no "contents" list on either, just a flammability/reproductive health warning that they contain Toluene :S

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #5884

Mmm... is that even allowed in the EU? :huh:

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #5888

Mmm... is that even allowed in the EU? :huh:

Who can tell ... "EU Law" is such a minefield, and 95% of the information available is of the "EU set to ban x" variety, rather "EU bans x" it's almost impossible to find out ... as far as I can tell, toluene is banned in paints & glues intended for amateur use, but as this is a filler/paste/putty, it doesn't count. :silly:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #5894

Caught up with the other 2 rads now ...

Running totals:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #5902

Great job JR :woohoo:

Your inspiration has lead me to attempt a custom snorkel for the F350. It will be one "pimped out" Ford F350 when done...

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 2 months ago #5934

Jonny,

As always fine work, looking forward to more updates :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.