Keyword

TOPIC:

Driver Figure Painting for Dummies 1 year 4 months ago #73049

Just finished the "leftovers" Wheeler drivers ...

I only checked the steering wheels for holes in the spokes, not the angles - I think the teal helmeted driver got a Sand Rover one by mistake :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Driver Figure Painting for Dummies 1 year 4 months ago #73051

... and the Wild Willy / kawaii Multipurpose Figure hybrids with "female" face paint (= Wild Uendi?).

I had to use a couple of washers to space the head from the body, overwise the chin was touching the neck. 

Against my previous efforts at a female face - Wild Willy heads with the nose reduced & eyes painted bigger - is not really comparing like with like, but I do think it's worth me pursuing a bit more shading and a more delicate touch on all my scale face painting in future :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Driver Figure Painting for Dummies 1 year 3 months ago #73378

Bought some more Willy figures, and also some alternative "Willy" heads off eBay ...

The heads are nicely sculpted, and very well formed (I'm assuming from the stuff the 2nd hand box they arrived in) - but they're not a direct/easy fit. 

First problem, no way to fasten them on. I filled them with Milliput white, and once that was cured, sanded it flat. I wanted to mark them to drill/tap a mounting hole, but - second problem - the neck doesn't fit in the collar. I had to do considerable reshaping to get it in there before I could mark, drill, and fit M3 helicoils.

TBC ...

Attachments:

Driver Figure Painting for Dummies 1 year 3 months ago #73379

Third problem - cigars don't fit. I tried to thin the first one down, but the material is quite fragile & I lost a bit off the inside end - so one is shorter & narrow than the other. 

I tried (very carefully, by hand) drilling out the hole, but half the top lip pinged off one & I had to fill/repair it before getting the primer on (Vallejo "Grey", so I could do it indoors).

Meanwhile, working on the diver figures, filler etc ...

Determined to fully understand & follow the Vallejo face painting kit this time, the cigar smokers (+ a couple of Willy heads) will get the "fair" skin process, starting with 2 coats of Brown Sand, the other Willy heads + a couple of spares will get the "brown", starting with 2 coats of Beige Red:

TBC ...
Attachments:

Driver Figure Painting for Dummies 1 year 3 months ago #73380

"Brown" step two is hair, eyes, outlines & deepest wrinkles (which I should have done less of, or finer):

Steps 3 and 4 are four levels of highlight:

"Fair" at same stage:

This could be the stuff of nightmares, but there's  a lot more to do yet ... maybe quite a delay though, I should have thought ahead & ordered the matt & satin "varnish" I need before yesterday ,,,
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Al

Driver Figure Painting for Dummies 1 year 3 months ago #73391

the faces looked a lot better (well, less creepy) after the "shadow" colours went on, no pics of that step though ...

The "varnish"es arrived :y: (although I did pay extra to upgrade the shipping speed). This was my first attempt at "glaze": as I understand it, mixing lots of clear with a small amount of colour, like around 5:1 ratio, to make a very thin, even, semi-translucent shade. This is different to my final step before, which were washes, which although diluted the same ratio (with water) & also covered the underlying painted on "structure", tends to concentrate in the low/detail areas not do anything towards blending the colours. If you compare the Wheeler drivers, I think some improvement is apparent - but TBH I'm up against the limits of my dexterity, not no mention eyesight now.

The best results IMO are the "fair" painted, cigar toting drivers, which shows how much help a large scale, full face sculpt with a lot of details gives you. The partial faces, and the smaller scale faces didn't come out so well. I'm not overly happy with the "brown" set, I went a bit too brown with the glaze shade & they don't look that much like the Mediterranean results shown in the instructions.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Al

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Driver Figure Painting for Dummies 1 year 3 months ago #73392

The result is crazy Jonny. I like this patina.

Driver Figure Painting for Dummies 1 year 3 months ago #73408

Hundred times better than I could do it!

Driver Figure Painting for Dummies 1 year 2 months ago #73581

Ongoing man 'flu symptoms (with added pyrexia & exhaustion) have meant I really haven't wanted to do anything "big" or new; my M-06 beetle hasn't moved since Christmas day for example - but I have managed to finish the Willy drivers I started a while back...

The caps (previously airbrushed red) got a lit wash of Hull Red & white SA vinyl logos (Maple leaf, Jeep & 'murca) cut to suit what I had in mind for the driver uniforms/clothing (lumberjack, US Air Cav, vintage production Wild Willy driver).

I painted the bodies to suit (2 of each type), and three of the "brown" faced full helmets (1 to suit each). IDK how well it's showing up in the photos, but although they are shiny and the "correct" gloss "varnish" is better than the "wrong" one, it (and the underlying colours) really needed airbrushing.

The caps are a good fit forwards or backwards, but would need gluing on for anything other than display.

Overall I'm still not sure about the full face heads - I think they're a bit undersized and overly sculpted to be a great match for the "comic" proportions of the Tamiya Wild Willy body. I'll have to think on about which I keep

:) 

Attachments:

Driver Figure Painting for Dummies 1 year 2 months ago #73582

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.