Keyword

TOPIC:

Been threatened by eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME 9 years 6 months ago #31033

Following yesterdays half assed, belated, anonymised, "apology" for technical issues on Sunday (www2.ebay.com/a...11312.html), in which they showed they didn't know what had happened, or when - tell me that explains or makes up for the site being completely unavailable between 1100 and 1700 BST on Sunday, eBay have backed up a fresh, new load of evil & dumped a yard of horse puckey in my inbox:

"YOU’LL SOON BE ENROLLED INTO
THE GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME

We’re pleased to let you know that your account will soon be enrolled into the Global Shipping Programme. It’s an easy way to reach millions more buyers with minimal changes to your current processes. The Programme is for sellers who don’t currently offer international postage on listings.
..."

And so on for another 17 paragraphs.

Why do I find this so unwelcome? Feedback from the US where this has already been inflicted on some unsuspecting customers shows that eBay's re-shipper causes no end of problems by opening packages & repacking them - parts lost, items broken, being destroyed in transit due to poor packing, parcels arriving late - and sellers getting the blame in terms of full refunds, negative feedback & poor star ratings, and eBay "support" being of the "BUWAHAHAHA!" variety.

Looking into it, I can't pre-emptively opt out, I have to wait until I've been "enrolled", _then_ I can opt out. Personally I'm not taking any chances & won't be listing anything (for up to 6 weeks, I guess) until I'm sure that anything I list won't involuntarily become involved :angry:
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Been threatened by eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME 9 years 6 months ago #31040

• Dam
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
I got stung by this new rip off. Got some m38 tyres from the states. It said you don't have to pay any extra tax, so I'm thinking yes no import tax to pay :woohoo: lone behold after I'd won them I went to pay I had to pay more money to import them :cry: I couldn't back out on the sale, I'd off got slated by the seller and lost my 100% feedback. Just when you think ebay couldn't get any worse. I think when buyers get wise to it , they'll swerve the sellers using it

Been threatened by eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME 9 years 6 months ago #31070

I got stung by this new rip off. Got some m38 tyres from the states. It said you don't have to pay any extra tax, so I'm thinking yes no import tax to pay :woohoo: lone behold after I'd won them I went to pay I had to pay more money to import them :cry: I couldn't back out on the sale, I'd off got slated by the seller and lost my 100% feedback. Just when you think ebay couldn't get any worse. I think when buyers get wise to it , they'll swerve the sellers using it

Those listings are misleading at best. You have to click through the "Learn more" to find out the conditions:

When you purchase an item through the Global Shipping Programme:

You pay any applicable import charges upfront. There are no additional charges at delivery.

Presumably "upfront" does not mean "included in the posted price" (which would be fine). Presumably this means that the seller sends it to the International Forwarder, who calculates the duties and bills you before they send the item.
This is going to catch a lot of people out.

Been threatened by eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME 9 years 6 months ago #31071

Those listings are misleading at best. You have to click through the "Learn more" to find out the conditions:

When you purchase an item through the Global Shipping Programme:

You pay any applicable import charges upfront. There are no additional charges at delivery.

Presumably "upfront" does not mean "included in the posted price" (which would be fine). Presumably this means that the seller sends it to the International Forwarder, who calculates the duties and bills you before they send the item.
This is going to catch a lot of people out.

Not quite, when you buy an item under the GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME all the costs will be presented to you at checkout, and you pay it all then. And, no extra charges will be added by your local customs.
The problem is that the cost you see during an auction is only an estimate, based on an assumed final price. The actual final price will dictate the final "International fee" cost.

And, the program is relying on the seller to correctly identifythe goods. In my case I buy a lot of manuals, and "printed paper" does not qualify for VAT charges into Norway (i.e. no tax), but if the seller labels the manual as "toy car parts" I am forced to pay 25% VAT to the Golbal Shipping Program...

And, of course, you no longer have the option that your local customs once in a while misses your box, and send it on without charging you the tax, which in my case happened a lot..

So, yes I hate it, and I email sellers offering items, and beg them to just post the item as normal, without using the global shipping programme. Most sellers refuse this, as "shipping overseas" is so dangerous...

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Last edit: by larbut. Reason: typos...

Been threatened by eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME 9 years 5 months ago #31563

eBay followed up and emailed me to say I've been "enrolled" :whistle: , followed quickly by me opting out ... to clarify, the reason I don't like sending overseas is not because it's "dangerous", but because buyers often have unrealistic expectations regarding shipping cost, delivery times, and avoiding import duties/fees - some of my listings are enough of a hole magnet without giving them something else to take issue with. This "Global Shipping Programme" just adds another layer of potential problems, especially with the unpacking/repacking.

Been threatened by eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME 9 years 5 months ago #31579

• Dam
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Oh joy of joys, I will be one of the lucky ebayers to get enrolled in the programme of global rip offs :pinch: how lucky am I :cry:

Been threatened by eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME 9 years 5 months ago #31583

Why is it always the way, some one has a great idea (eBay) and someone else stuffs it up. It's a bit like the senario of a bunch of kids playing in a sandpit having a great time and then the new kid on the block turns up with a full size backhoe. What was wrong with using the postman, or have I got it wrong? What I do know is the last lot of bits would have cost $39 to send via Global ripping, the seller also agreed with me and just posted them.......$6.

Been threatened by eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME 9 years 5 months ago #31585

• Dam
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Like most things in life, its a con. If you can rip someone else off and get away with it, then do it :evil:

This is something I don't believe in by the way ;) I like fair :y:

Been threatened by eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME 9 years 5 months ago #31590

The problem is a lot of the sellers think they have to use the Global Ripping company, either that or they're just too lazy to get postage costs. It definately has changed the buying side of things. Surely ebay must have got some seriously negative feed back from it, maybe they have but due to some sort of legal reason are tied into the GS mob.

Been threatened by eBay GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAMME 9 years 5 months ago #31594

...What I do know is the last lot of bits would have cost $39 to send via Global ripping, the seller also agreed with me and just posted them.......$6.

That price differential makes sense when you think about what goes in to it - unpacking, repacking, onward shipping, paying import duties up front, charging a fee to do that ... the question is whether that is fair or reasonable ...

I've no proof of that last one (handling fee) BTW, but all things being equal, you've got to assume eBay had a profit motive - and all those import duty processing fees going towards someone else's bottom line smells like one to me.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.736 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.