Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil filled tranny? 6 years 10 months ago #43768

• Ken B.
  • Ken B.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
Has anyone ever tried converting their tranny to an oil-filled one (that is, converting or modding the stock tranny, not just buying a whole new tranny)?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Oil filled tranny? 6 years 10 months ago #43771

Hi Ken,

It depends on what transmission you're talking about.
You have to be carefull if you fill oil in transmissions with a plastic case. Most oils contain HC ( Hydrocarbures ) and it will attack those plastic cases. That's the main reason why i never attempted to do it, besides that most of the model i restore will only be driven indoor...

Anyway, the 3-speeds transmissions ( exeption made on trucks ) are built with a metal casing.
There are also some gasket kits you can buy on e-Bay for that convertion. The main thing is that those gaskets will change the total lenght of the whole metal case which will have an incidence on the gear selector if no adjustment is made to it. In order to do that you will have to modify the gear selector and/or adjust the gears to the new lenght layout.

This is my own interpretation :

What is the purpose to fill those transmissions with oil? In my opinion with the actual grease quality, there is no need to fill them oil anymore. I'd rather go for a replacement of the bushings with bearings and a good clean and re-grease the whole thing after heavy use.

Manotas
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Manotas.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.