Keyword

TOPIC:

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44145

• Ken B.
  • Ken B.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
So, I guess you need special scissors to get proper cuts on a polycarbonate or lexan clear body?

Some areas (curved) are tough to get a good cut.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44147

This is the way I do it, I love how easy this makes it and how clean the lines are :)

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44150

I do it the same way, score with a knife and tear.
I sometimes use a straight scissor for long straight edges, if I can find room for it.
Make sure you have a continuous score, if not the tearing can go wrong...

Finish off by sanding all the way around.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44151

I do that too. With a new blade to be sure and have a nice result.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44159

• Ken B.
  • Ken B.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
Thanks guys, great idea!

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44162

This is really my worst nightmare. We're not talking Bob Ross here where "there are no accidents, just happy little incidents". A wrong cut on the outside doesn't matter as you can always work your way in, but a cut too far in and the body is spoiled.

I'm not happy with that video where the guy is pre-cutting with a knife and then tearing, he never shows a closeup of the result! And the video is bad quality so it's impossible to inspect the cuts. Lars, will you please take a close shot of some of your work? I'd love to see it. If you can do then maybe I can change my strategy .

I've done my few bodies this far with those angled scissors, slowly cuytting, sort of nibbling along the lines, even the straights. The wheel arches I've cut with a safe margin to later sand down to a perfect shape with my Bosch 'wheel arch sander', as I've started calling that tool.

Before each body is to cut I always load up with a strong latte, or two, and get some fresh air. To get into my best shape possible. If something goes wrong then I can always blame the tools.
The following user(s) Liked this: Ken B.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44164

:D that's really easy. The cut line is very clean with a blade. Matters arrive when you make severale lines.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44165

Yes, but what about curves? Wheel arches are curves, they must be nice and round. I cannot "cut" round shapes, even less cut straight lines. I guess that I'm handicapped , or something...

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44168

No you aren't handicapped. I am. But you just have to make short lines around the arches without remove your knife. Slowly. Take your time. And most of bodies have the cutting line moulded. That's easier. And you can use your arch tool to have a perfect round.
The following user(s) Liked this: Ken B.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44174

'stick it with the pointy end' and you can draw arches dont put to much pressure on the point of the knife, you don't need to cut through just scratch the surface. Practice on the access lexan thats on the shells. it works pretty well. scratch and snap.
With enough pratice you can make quit small arches.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Ken B.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.