Keyword

TOPIC:

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44189

Thanks boys for your tips and your confidence. You have more confidence in me than I have. I will try it, but I don't know...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44191

It really does work quite well ;) Score the lines, Snap at the line & remove the excess, Then sand the edges smooth :)

these 2 are after cut ready for sanding ;)

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 9 months ago #44233

it looks nice enough.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 8 months ago #44922

How do you do these door-lines, or what you call them please? With a black marker? Or some other simpler way? Thanks for any advice on this.

Attachments:

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 8 months ago #44923

Panel lines, shut lines, or whatever else you want to call them - in that example I'd expect them to be part of the sticker sheet, especially the headlamps... I used to use a very fine sharpie to do them on hard bodies, but it's a bit harsh/unrealistic/ghetto so I now either use a light wash of paint a little darker than than the body colour, or just leave them. On polycarbonate or scratchbuilds where there's not really a sharp enough indent, a very fine line tape on the exterior. Kyosho micron 0.7mm for example :)

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 8 months ago #44933

I don't make these lines always. But when I make them, I use a super fine marker.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 8 months ago #44952

Thanks alot guys. Good info.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 8 months ago #44959

Those body lines are done using a super fine sharpie, This is an essential part of a drift body, I do it to all my Cars and usually the tip of the sharpie fits right in the groove and you just trace, The nice part is if you make a mistake just lick your thumb and rub the overage out and start again.

As for the wheel arches I usually will score the bottom of whichever side of the body and crack that and when i get the wheel well , score as best you can trying for one consistent score , just make sure your scores are all attached and start to rip up from the center tab of the wheel well and it should peel right out like butter, If your scores dont intersect it will stop and tear but just stop and score. Etc etc etc.
Keep the rubber on the road! PM me with any Alfa Romeo bodies!!!

Last edit: by BCM06.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 8 months ago #44983

So, I guess you need special scissors to get proper cuts on a polycarbonate or lexan clear body?

Some areas (curved) are tough to get a good cut.

I've had a curved pair of lexan scissors for years & it's a complete waste of money. Recently got the straight set & along with a quality body reamer & scalpel it's all you need. Apart from a really steady hand of course.

For example here is my custom Mazda Rx7 wide body shell I'm just waiting for another set of body posts to butcher so I can fit a Protoform magnetic stealth mounts & not have to cut up the original body posts. I haven't fitted the decals yet but it'll look pretty awesome once on the drift car.
My other car is a Tamiya - bumper sticker on my van
Attachments:

Last edit: by rcmadkiwi.

Best way to get accurate cuts on poly/lexan bodies 6 years 8 months ago #44991

Alright. I just bought 5 meter of 0,4 mm black Kyosho tape. No problems, I'll find some use for it.

So I'll be looking for a 0,5 mm tip fine point pen, some sort of permanent marker then. I wouldn't want a drop of rain spoiling my lines.

Last edit: by uncletom.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.