Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Motor Dimension Nomenclature Reminder 6 years 8 months ago #44975

I know it's trivial, but this is how urban/internet myths start ... From the September 2017 issue of Radio Control Car Action:

Leaving aside getting it wrong by a factor of 10 (540mm = 21 & 1/4" !?), the motor size nomenclature doesn't come from the motor length, not even approximately, otherwise a 550 motor would be 620, and a 380 would be a 420. Or more correctly, a 62 and a 42 ;)

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Motor Dimension Nomenclature Reminder 6 years 8 months ago #44976

Why trivial????
That's a good information source. And interseted for who want build a motor support. :y:

Motor Dimension Nomenclature Reminder 6 years 8 months ago #44977

Great call, Jonny!
I tend to go to the source of information to find correct info.
This is how Mabuchi describes the motor designations:

The length of the can is only one of the numbers in 540, and it's a code, not the precise length.
You can read all the details at this Mabuchi page:

www.mabuchi-mot...tions.html

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Attachments:

Last edit: by larbut.

Motor Dimension Nomenclature Reminder 6 years 8 months ago #44979

I saw on the lot of motors I bought last year that a lot of them was yokomo stamped. All were modified class motors.

Motor Dimension Nomenclature Reminder 6 years 8 months ago #45015

Hi there,
Thanks for posting the link for the motor info larbut , that answers a lot of questions :y:
I have been playing with these things for a long time and never really looked into what the numbers mean. I find it hard to believe or maybe not so hard :( that RC car action would publish that bad information....I guess that's just another reason I don't buy it anymore, and the fact that is is mostly full of new lexan blob cars that I have no interest in :laugh: Ya, that's the reason....
But really it is sad to see that, because now people who really don't know will take that as the truth and spread it around...:(
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Motor Dimension Nomenclature Reminder 6 years 8 months ago #45026

I'm coming to the end of a 2-year subscription to RCCA - this is the only truly boneheaded bit of information I've felt like posting, I think that's quite a good record :y:

My main problem with it is the same as with all printed media now - it just can't compete with the speed & depth of online content. I'm in two minds about renewing it, I do like having a physical magazine in my hands - even if I do feel a bit shortchanged with the thinness of it, and the well undersized US magazine size. What's up with that? Eveything is supposed to be bigger in the States ... apart from slugs, and the titchy little pamphlets that pass as magazines ;)

Content wise, there's quite a bit for me to read (Tamiya & scalers), and quite a bit I'm not interested in (modern buggies, fast short coure trucks, nitro, etc) ... more racing coverage has been creeping in recently, which I have no interest in.

There's not much competetion left ... "Racer" quite obviously has a racing focus, I could look past that as the rest of the content (plastic whizzy buggies notwithstanding), but it'll be a while before I can bear to deal with the assclownery that is their subs administration ...

RCCi (Radio Race Car International), I stopped subscribing to that after two months in a row featured multiple page spreads on things I'd already seen on "The Gadget Show" ... why was I paying for that? I was going to take a sub out again after a break, but they annouced they were going digital only - so keeping the worst bits of print media (always slower than online content, and necessarily shallower), and doing away with the best bit - having a physical item you could keep & re-read, sometimes decades later. Great idea, let us know how that works ouf for you, long term :whistle:

I've got bored of my Model Boats sub so let that lapse (it's very much a minority interest for me), Viz stopped being funny ... I thought I might Tamiya Model Magazine, but reputedly unless you're into 1/35 Armour in a big way, you're going to be disappointed, Airfix magazine I would imagine is going to focus on their plane kits, so I think I'd want to see a couple of issues before commiting ...

Short version, meh ... and I think that's what a lot of people think about print media ... there must be something out there thatr would interest me ...

Motor Dimension Nomenclature Reminder 6 years 8 months ago #45027

I have noticed most content dumbing down due mostly to millennials moving into writing positions. Its what killed vice. Its what kills alot of things is that instead of actually learning through experience and love of interest, most writers research the crap out of the same 26 articles and all start to spread the same crap around because no one has the know how to say otherwise until it hits people with passion such as us.
Keep the rubber on the road! PM me with any Alfa Romeo bodies!!!
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, stingray-63

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.