Keyword

TOPIC:

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 years 2 weeks ago #42673

More bothering by nooby UT! What glue are you guys using for the plastic body, type Sand Scorcher?

Is there any type or brand of glue you'd recommend in particular?

The old skool, stinky tubes polystyrene model cement of the 1970s are still around, but I wouldn't recommend those ... basically the same stuff has been available in less messy forms (a long, fine metal tube dispenser) since the 90s, Revell "Contacta Professional" or Humbrol "Precision Poly Cement" are good examples.

Personally I prefer to solvent "weld" styrene (hold bits together, apply with brush along seam & it gets drawn in by capilliary action) - EMA "Plastic Weld" is probably the main name in that field, but it's expensive for the volume, and the bottle is top heavy & WILL fall over if you don't decant into a smaller vessel first (10ml Tamiya glass jars are ideal). I use straight Dichloromethane instead - but it only really makes sense buying the 1L or 2.5L containers if you're planning on doing a lot of model making ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 years 2 weeks ago #42675

Thanks! Ok, that Contacta .. sounds good for me. So it is basically some superglu for plastic? Can't I then just get that superglue in my local grocery store for like $2?

Also, the original 1979 Sand Scorcher has its body out of High Impact Styrol, the 2010 re-release says ABS. Are these the same materials?

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 years 2 weeks ago #42679

:huh: What do you want to glue? You can use a scale glue to avoid white cloud. But you can use cyano glue.
I use revell scale glue. (this sold with complete set)

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 years 2 weeks ago #42693

Thanks! Ok, that Contacta .. sounds good for me. So it is basically some superglu for plastic? Can't I then just get that superglue in my local grocery store for like $2?

Also, the original 1979 Sand Scorcher has its body out of High Impact Styrol, the 2010 re-release says ABS. Are these the same materials?

Cyanoacrylate is not the same at all, personally I don't like it due to it's tendency to fail on non-porous materials after a number of weeks or months, especially where there's a sideways knock (poor shear strength). Poly glues & solvent "welds" on the other hand melt the surfaces in to each other, and the resulting diffusion type bond, while not infallible, is IMO better :)

edit - re Styrol vs ABS, in practical terms they are, if not the same, then interchangeable and completely compatible - calling the original "Styrol" wouldn't have been accurate as I'm sure it would have been a manufactured polymer of styrene ... having said that, I'm just as guilty for using "styrene" in my build threads when what I actually mean ABS, or even HIPS in some cases :whistle:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 years 2 weeks ago #42694

Thanks again Jonny for great info. I learn something new every day here.

At this moment I am doing this. Here is my Fighting Buggy.

A wierd notion I had already while assembling my scorcher, have you ever considered the way Tamiya sorts all screws, nuts and metal details in those bags for these kits? There seems to be a system, but not a logical one. Stuff that should come inside one particular bag is distributed over two or three different bags, together with parts not often related to each other or belonging to the same group!? Why don't they just sort it all according to type of item? It would make things much simpler.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 years 2 weeks ago #42697

Pile of brushed cool stuff including a melinium corally case! dutch quality :P Only 1 tamiya
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Last edit: by poebe.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 years 2 weeks ago #42707

Hello gorgeous!
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus, poebe

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 years 2 weeks ago #42709

Nice ! and the kombi street rod in the ground is always awesome :P ;)

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 years 2 weeks ago #42718

Awesome pile of motors you've got there, Poebe! Are they all compatible with the 540 stock motor that comes with Tamiya's 1/10 scale RCs?

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 years 2 weeks ago #42732

Awesome pile of motors you've got there, Poebe! Are they all compatible with the 540 stock motor that comes with Tamiya's 1/10 scale RCs?

:laugh: yep

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 1.354 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.