Keyword

TOPIC:

Entymology... and other animal behaviour 11 years 5 months ago #14449

How about this for completely unrelated - some wheels turned up today, yes I know they're not for Thuder Dragon & wouldn't even fit, but I got distracted....

AND these turned up, which are even more unrelated, but far more exciting than toy car stuff!
(Don't need batteries or charging either!)

Thought it might be entertaining to have bat-sized moths flapping about in the living room...
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Entymology... and other animal behaviour 11 years 5 months ago #14454

Ah, Acherontia Atropos. It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. :side:

Couldn't withstand the classic pop culture reference...
Attachments:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Entymology... and other animal behaviour 11 years 5 months ago #14461

I'd plug Cartman playing "Lambs" on YouTube but I reckon that even bleeped there's too much profanity. :S
Are they really gonna fly around or do you have a special hangout for them?

Re: Entymology... and other animal behaviour 11 years 5 months ago #14463

Well, I've never had them before so I don't really know what the story is, BUT they're not native to the UK & definately wouldn't survive outside in winter, so yeah, plan is IF they hatch this time of year, they will be living indoors for the duration. I've made a net cage to keep the caterpillars from running off, but the moths will be so large (apparently) that I'd need a room-sized cage to let them fly about in, so why bother with the cage?
I think it will be cool if it happens - large flappy furry things that squeak, flapping about... apparently the caterpillars have an angry streak too & will bite if you poke them about!
Sorry to be rambling, but I'm finding the whole idea of them far more exciting than toy car stuff!

Re: Entymology... and other animal behaviour 11 years 5 months ago #14465

Holy moly, wing span can go up to 130mm. :huh:
They'd be needing some room... what if they all hatch? :silly:

Re: Entymology... and other animal behaviour 11 years 5 months ago #14473

No offence Eddrick, but I don't like moths and I can't imagine anything worse that having 5 inch ones flapping around the house. (shudders)

Re: Entymology... and other animal behaviour 11 years 5 months ago #14474

@Dr. Lector

Will those hatch in time for Halloween?

Re: Entymology... and other animal behaviour 11 years 5 months ago #14481

No offence Eddrick, but I don't like moths and I can't imagine anything worse that having 5 inch ones flapping around the house. (shudders)

I can (easily)... lived on Gran Canaria for a while where they have (a lot of) giant flying cockroaches. :huh:
Prefer a bird-sized moth over that any time...

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Entymology... and other animal behaviour 11 years 5 months ago #14482

I can (easily)... lived on Gran Canaria for a while where they have (a lot of) giant flying cockroaches. :huh:
Prefer a bird-sized moth over that any time...

Those big brown ones ? :S we had those wenn we lived in Egypt :sick:

Re: Entymology... and other animal behaviour 11 years 5 months ago #14484

I think so... worst thing is they only fly during mating season so squashing them will mean an infestation. :sick:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.