Keyword

TOPIC:

uncletom's Scorpion 6 years 9 months ago #44821

The tble02s is a pretty crappy esc In my opinion.... and how stupid are they to supply an ESC that requires a sensored motor and not include the cable necessary for connection. I really hope tamiya pulls it's head out of its own orrifice and drops the fricking LIFo stuff soon.

It makes perfect economic sense I'm afraid - put the cable in with the ESC (or kit) and it's an added cost, it maybe a fraction of a penny but multiply it out by the huge number of ESCs/kits sold in a year and it's a number that'll make any company accountant feel like a super stud for "saving" :whistle: In the case of kits provided with a silvercan 540 motor you wouldn't need that cable so most of the time Tamiya wouldn't be benefitting the consumer anyway.

If you put the sensor cable in with the motor it's a somewhat reduced "cost" as it's only going to those consumers that actually need the thing ... on the other hand, weasel thinking dictates you don't put it in, and the 4.99 you charge for it as a separate item becomes another revenue stream :angry:

Turnigy TrackStar motors cost half as much, & mine have come with a sensor cable .Just sayin' ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

uncletom's Scorpion 6 years 9 months ago #44854

Ya I am with you there Jonny, the Turnigy stuff works just fine for me and is priced way better. I have a friend who just has to have all the "right " names on all his electronics Spektrum, Novak, LRP, Reedy etc.... Not saying it isn't top quality stuff but mine has never failed either. It's not like the old days, its all made in china now and most likely on the same assembly lines. If you order enough of them they will put whatever name you want on them......Jonny Retro Radio Company.....it has a nice ring to it don't ya think ;)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

uncletom's Scorpion 6 years 9 months ago #44868

Thanks for your thoughts on this, boys. I've not yet bought any motor for my Scorpion but it looks l will be going for the Neon One with the appropriate ESC for brushless sensorless motors. I am very curious about it, how it will behave compared to Tamiya's sensored brushless TBLM-01S motor, which I'm very satisfied with, currently in my TT-01 chassi.

As for my progress I've painted the body now. My first poly-carb body. But most time has been spent on my Wild One, which I'll soon present in another thread.

I did some experimenting with this soft masking tape, from Tamiya ofcourse, which allows for flexible turns in the striping. I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted my scorpion to look, but I was sure I didn't want the box art.

After spraying it lookes like this. The yellow paint was a bit too bright to exactly match the yellow radio tub, so I did 3 layers of PS-6 (Tamiya's yellow for PC) and then one layer of orange PS-7, then a couple turns of white at last to seal the colors and stripes, diffusing any shine-through which I really dislike.

Painted and complete with a 'silver can' it looks OK, just need to place some proper decals on there. The supplied ones are mostly just "Kyosho" .. etc.

The driver is my minimalistic standard white (just primer), painted face with some hemlet stuffing, simple eyes, and a couple of eyebrows. For some reason I always do red gloves.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, BCM06

Last edit: by uncletom.

uncletom's Scorpion 6 years 9 months ago #44872

:woohoo: It looks perfect. Maybe only a little too many red on the helmet ;) . But it is really wonderfull. Congrates for your not so simple work Tom. :y:

uncletom's Scorpion 6 years 9 months ago #44880

Thanks Sting.

It's far from perfect though. I discovered that the body now was more orange than it should. Maybe I should have sprayed one layer of PS-19 "Camel yellow" instead. Or one or two layers more of the yellow before I spray the orange?

uncletom's Scorpion 6 years 9 months ago #44882

Looks awesome tom! If I had to paint drivers they would all look like sloth from the goonies....way to detailed for my shaky hands lol.
Keep the rubber on the road! PM me with any Alfa Romeo bodies!!!

uncletom's Scorpion 6 years 9 months ago #44883

Only PS 19 could be easier. But your body sounds nice

uncletom's Scorpion 6 years 9 months ago #44884

Maybe it's my monitor (or eyesight), but that look a pretty decent colour match to me :y: :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

uncletom's Scorpion 6 years 9 months ago #44885

Thanks boys. Well, it's the poor lightning that makes the body match the tub so well in that picture. And I probably wouldn't notice in the sunlight when driving either.

Anyway I ordered two more Scorpion bodies from the US. They all seem out of stock here in Europe.

Meanwhile, I've got things to do here. This arrived today. And I do have my Ferrari body nicely cut out and ready.

Attachments:

Last edit: by uncletom.

uncletom's Scorpion 6 years 9 months ago #44887

You will need a lot of patience with mica red. Multiple light lays and a last silver layer. The result will be awesome. Like a hot rod :y:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.