Keyword

TOPIC:

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 9 months ago #38969

Not sure when this happened - the car has been under glass for most of the time since I finished it, I moved things around last week & moved it to a regular shelf & didn't notice it, I moved it again today to put in back in a display case & the paint has crazed all over - the clear orange layer seems to have shrunk :(

I don't know what the cause was either - the Tamiya paint, some sort of incompatibility between that & the Hycote base coat(s) - or the Novus plastic polishes I use to rub it out. I hope it's not the latter because I've used that on a lot of paintjobs since :sick:

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 9 months ago #38970

Kind of looks really vintage. think the original 1:1 shells (werent those glassfibre) got a similar pattina after time in the sun

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 9 months ago #38971

I have the same problem with revell aquapaint on tamiya paint like if it wasn't enough dry. Your orange was so nice :(

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 9 months ago #38972

This must be something to do with the Hycote and the Tamiya paints.
Have you used the silver base on other projects, with Tamiya paints on top?
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 9 months ago #38977

This must be something to do with the Hycote and the Tamiya paints.
Have you used the silver base on other projects, with Tamiya paints on top?

Well hopefully that's it, because I think that's only time I've used a Tamiya TS spray over a Hycote colour coat.

I say "hopefully" because if it's the polishes, that's a problem because I've used those on a lot of other hard body shells (including on cars I've sold on) - though only with Hycote colour coats (I think) and Hycote and Halfords clear lacquers.

I'll see if I can work out what primers/paints/clears/polishes I used on what projects (& _when_) & see if that tells me anything, but I'm inclined to look at it as an unfortunate one-off ...

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 9 months ago #38978

I have the same problem with revell aquapaint on tamiya paint like if it wasn't enough dry. Your orange was so nice :(

I take your point, but I was pretty careful with it & none of the 3 coats was really wet - as evidenced by the orange peel before polishing...

:)

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 9 months ago #38979

Kind of looks really vintage. think the original 1:1 shells (werent those glassfibre) got a similar pattina after time in the sun

If only it was 1:10 crazing ... ;)

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 2 weeks ago #42687

Oh, now I see it was Jonny who's the dude with the extremly bad luck with his orange finish on the Rover buggy.

Jonny. Your selection of color on the buggy is one of the most beautiful I've seen, and after the novus treatment it was even more beautiful. I feel really sorry that it didn't hold, but for whatever reason it fell appart don't give up. Wash it off and do it again, you can do it. Use the Tamiya TS92 "metallic orange". I believe that you will make it even better next time.

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 2 weeks ago #42691

TBH this isn't a priority as it looks ok at a distance ... I'm more inclined to try airbrushing X-26 Clear Orange over some sort of silver (after stripping/priming) - that metallic orange is nice enough, but I'd rather give the candy finish another go :)

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 1 week ago #42823

lost my post due to a bogus "flooding" error :angry: so just a pic:

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.