Keyword

TOPIC:

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 1 week ago #42826

Awesome. So you stripped the color off this body? This is the Sand Rover .. ABS? Or high impact styrene ?

The Sand Rover is your fav buggy, isn't it?

I am thinking of getting rid of my Hornet once I've done all my testing, and then try the Fast Attack Vehicle buggy. It looks like a real rail buggy and I like that it reminds me of the vintage old Holiday buggy a little in its design.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 1 week ago #42833

lost my post due to a bogus "flooding" error :angry:

Those aren't funny at all, especially with a large post...

Lars, maybe it would be possible to not refresh the page when using the back button after submitting?
That way the text could still be salvaged and another attempt made.
Not sure how difficult it would be to do with Joomla but I know css-tricks.com handles it like that with WP.

Last edit: by Edou.

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 1 week ago #42840

Sorry about the trouble, but it could be anything.
The best way to be sure of not loosing a long post is to Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C before you click submit.

Edit: When I did a "back" after posting the original version of this post, the original text showed up i the editor field.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 7 years 1 week ago #42862

Edit: When I did a "back" after posting the original version of this post, the original text showed up i the editor field.

Indeed, but I remember this not being the case after the specific flooding page...
I'll check if it occurs again just to be sure.

Last edit: by Edou.

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 6 years 11 months ago #43093

Now in grey primer ....

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: uncletom

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 6 years 11 months ago #43098

Fine job here as well.

What primer are you using? Tamiya's "Fine" stuff?

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 6 years 11 months ago #43107

... What primer are you using? Tamiya's "Fine" stuff?

Hycote Plastic Primer - red oxide, white or grey as appropriate :)

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 6 years 10 months ago #43448

Hey all,
I just sat and read this whole thread, don't know how I did not see it before......I Love the Sand Rover and the colour, sorry to see the bad paint reaction. I have had them myself. I tend to stick to all Tamiya sprays for base and top coats just for compatibility now, I know they are expensive but they are good. ( save money, airbrush them) Also I learned to do a "sniff test" before I try polishing or anything. Basically if it still smells like paint it is not finished gassing off or curing so if you seal it with something else the solvents can't finish escaping and do strange things to the paint. I have had colored plastics bleed through the paint layers and top coats do a similar thing to yours. As for acrylics they won't attack the base layers but be sure they are cured well ( a week or more) before top coating, same problems, instant antique ...I like good old Future / Johnsons acrylic floor coating for a top coat on Tamiya acrylics, it goes on like water and is self leveling. I had a car take first place in a fairly large model contest years back and the top coat was Future floor finish applied with a cotton swab!!!, its amazing stuff!! :woohoo:
Also I wanted to say Thanks Jonny as I am now very inspired to do something with a new parts Sand Rover I have had for about OMG! 15+ years. I hesitate to say NIB as it is a kit I bought from a fellow on spendbay all those years ago :whistle: :whistle: that is in a kit box, but is all new spare parts collected up. There is no inner packaging, or blisters, everything is bagged or loose. I don't remember the sellers name but he had strange HTML in his adds and mentioned he was in a wheelchair or something??. He was just great to deal with and had an incredible amount of stuff back in the day, I bought a bunch of it.........wish I could find those prices again too :laugh: :laugh:
I really need to get building, but I will follow along.
Just my 2 cents :y: :y: :y:
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 6 years 10 months ago #43493

... be sure they are cured well ( a week or more) before top coating...

I think this is the key - usually I'm very good at following my own advice, but in this case (looking back) it looks like I put on the final coat of undercoat (silver) and at least one coat of orange in the same day - thinking I'd get away with it due to the heat & many hours between :whistle:

Look forward to seeing your Rover :)

Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 6 years 10 months ago #43915

Progress on this has been very slow ... spraying opportunities have been very limited over the last two months, with hardly any sunshine & very few days where it wasn't threatening to rain. In the end it only rained once here, but I didn't want to take any chances...

The two cans of Hycote Audi Silver I had (unused, but 4 years old) had both lost pressure, nothing at all would come out of the first one, and the second squirted paint out like a very cheap water pistol :whistle:

Moving on to a big can of Hycote generic "Aluminium Coat" then showed up some scratches on the bonnet & RHS, so some further rework was needed.

Now it's too hot to be spraying comfortably - but I'm quite happy to call it extra drying time ;)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, AndyAus

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.631 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.