Keyword

TOPIC:

UT's Buggies 7 years 1 month ago #42604

Thanks Sting. I try. I was very careful not to over-tighten any screws into the aluminium. And I use thread lock according to the manual, and then some. You can't be too sure, and I don't want to lose any loose screws.

Also, a word of warning, when assembling the plastic covers for the gears, be very careful not to tighten too much, it could crack the plastic. Rather paste some silicone around the edges to make it waterproof, if you plan to drive in water.

I am not very fan of the thread lock. Especially in aloy. It could break the thread if you need to unscrew. Screws are classic M3 You can easily replace them. And you're right with the trans cover. They are like crystal.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

UT's Buggies 7 years 1 month ago #42609

You mean that the Tamiya supplied thread lock is too hard? I was under the impression that the red stuff wasn't permanent, just kind of sticky, preventing vibration to cause loosening. It would certainly be very disturbing if it would ruin the threads.

UT's Buggies 7 years 1 month ago #42614

If you let me continue my noob session a little more I'd like to ask a few more questions.

For the SRB chassi, equipped with this casing to protect against water splashes, I suspect that I will need to select battery type very carefully, matching size. In the Fighting Buggy there seems to be more space for a longer battery. But in my scorcher the space is very limited.

I'd like to use a 5000 mAh battery for longer runtime, are there such capacities in my size?

Also I will need a good charger. A fast one, not those slow 2-3 hours toys. I've been looking at that "B6AC", are there others? Thanks for any info on this.

UT's Buggies 7 years 1 month ago #42620

If you let me continue my noob session a little more I'd like to ask a few more questions.

For the SRB chassi, equipped with this casing to protect against water splashes, I suspect that I will need to select battery type very carefully, matching size. In the Fighting Buggy there seems to be more space for a longer battery. But in my scorcher the space is very limited.

I'd like to use a 5000 mAh battery for longer runtime, are there such capacities in my size?

Also I will need a good charger. A fast one, not those slow 2-3 hours toys. I've been looking at that "B6AC", are there others? Thanks for any info on this.

1200mAH Ni-Cd batteries were the norm when the SRB was designed, even then there are caveats about where/how you drove it, and letting it cool down between packs ...

Looking at 7.2v "Hump" packs, modern ones will be NiMH & around 2700 to 3300mAH (e.g. www.ebay.co.uk/...2427906789).

Alternatives are anything physically smaller than the available space & pack it out so it doesn't rattle - such as the foam insert to suit the Lithium Ion (erroneously abbrievated to LiFe) technology that Tamiya was pushing, or a Lithium Polymer (LiPo) pack.

It's not unusual to repurpose the hard case from a vintage Tamiya pack as the housing for a LiPo battery either.

Chargers - I like the Imax B6 for it's flexibilty re battery types, cons are being fiddly to set up if you don't use it very often, and there are a lot of fakes out there. Any modern charger with 4 buttons is likely to work in the same way, but I couldn't recommend one in particular.

UT's Buggies 7 years 1 month ago #42624

Thanks Jonny. I don't trust myself with those Lipo batteries, so Nimh it will be. As for the charger I'll have a look in the hobby store, I remember seeing a four-button type there.

UT's Buggies 7 years 1 month ago #42625

:) I have a IMAX B6 . It works very well. I so recherged a real car's battery with it. It easy to use too and compact. (My AC/DC converter is bigger than the charger).

UT's Buggies 7 years 1 month ago #42629

Sounds impressive, Sting.

Could Lipo-batteries work with my 540 type brushed motor? If so what would be the gain? Longer run times?

I have read that they are very hazardous.

UT's Buggies 7 years 1 month ago #42631

HEUUUUUUUUUU?!?!?!
You're right. Lipo sticks are hazardous (for me) I have only one in my slash. I am afraid by them.
And one member had a problem with one. I think Waterbok but I am not sure. If you use a lipo stick, you need a lipo supported esc I think. I am not sure about that.
Same if Lipo are fantastic AQs, I am too affraid by them. I prefer run slowly with my 2000mAh nimh. Especially because I am the poorest pilot all around tamiyabase :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

UT's Buggies 7 years 1 month ago #42664

Alright. I've got a problem here. A noob-problem really, so not a *real* problem for a veteran.

I've got this charger and battery with my Hornet kit. Now, I know how to connect it all, but how do I know when battery is fully charged?? There's no LEDs or any indicators! Thanks for any enlightenment on the subject.

Attachments:

UT's Buggies 7 years 1 month ago #42665

I have a little request, I guess to the moderators, to change this thread's name to "UT's buggies". Because I have quite a few buggies now I would like to include them under this one thread, if it is OK ofcourse.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.