Keyword

TOPIC:

Wild Willy M38 LWB 6 years 8 months ago #45468

Joke... :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wild Willy M38 LWB 6 years 7 months ago #45552

I can recommend this ebay seller. hwpeterl

Sent 4 excellent repro tires for my WW M38.
A little pricey but haven't seen them for less.

Will post pictures when I get Willey ready to run.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus, poebe

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Wild Willy M38 LWB 6 years 7 months ago #45553

Nice!!!

Wild Willy M38 LWB 6 years 7 months ago #45598

Are rearend/differential parts/gears available for the Wild Willy M38 LWB if the need should arise?

Ran through 5 batteries yesterday. Willy is running like new again.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Wild Willy M38 LWB 6 years 7 months ago #45599

It looks like new too. :y:

Wild Willy M38 LWB 6 years 7 months ago #45602

Hey there,
Thanks for the pictures of the repro tires, they look really good up close, I think I will try a set too.
BTW, How rubbery are they? say compared to the regular Tamiya rubber type tires? Anybody tried running a set for real or are these just better for shelf queens? All opinions are welcome here? :)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Wild Willy M38 LWB 6 years 7 months ago #45603

Are rearend/differential parts/gears available for the Wild Willy M38 LWB if the need should arise?

Some are .... the diff & one of the idlers can be found in the Grasshopper/Hornet/Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin gear bag :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Wild Willy M38 LWB 6 years 7 months ago #45605

They seem like rubber to me. Not plastic looking. They look more like rubber than the new Tamiya brand tires I just bought for my old Hotshot. I have run them sever times. Very well balanced, run great. Fast shipping from China. This will not be a shelf queen unless something breaks I cannot get parts for.

Wild Willy M38 LWB 6 years 7 months ago #45606

Some are .... the diff & one of the idlers can be found in the Grasshopper/Hornet/Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin gear bag :)

Thanks. What grease is best to use in these gear boxes. I sprayed some oil through the hole like is shown. That seems to be washing grease out through the seams.

Wild Willy M38 LWB 6 years 7 months ago #45611

... What grease is best to use in these gear boxes. I sprayed some oil through the hole like is shown. That seems to be washing grease out through the seams.

I really, really wouldn't use spray oils (Tamiya Maintenance Spray, WD-40 & all the "like" products - SX90, XT44, GT40) on RC cars - difficult to prove a link but you know when you have an old car that's inexplicably fragile and a bit of hard plastic breaks every time you take it out (gears, suspension, chassis) until you've built a whole new car, and others that are practically bullet proof? Former had such a spray used on it back in the day, the other didn't.

Some people have disagreed with me on this point, I say they're stupid and wrong ;)
I've had cars turn up with evidence of such spray oils still on them, they've also proved to be fragile.

I know it says to do it in the manual (Grasshopper/Hornet too, almost certainly others), but there are lots of other things that Tamiya used to suggest (off the top of my head: silicone sealant on 3-speed gearboxes, thread lock on the Wild Willy M38 chassis, cutting the RX antenna down & soldering it to a solid metal pole {I forget which chassis that was}, "rubber bags" {balloons} over motors) that are equally boneheaded with the benefit of hindsight.

I wouldn't look any further than the regular grease Tamiya supply in their kits (which seems to be being supplanted by their Ceramic grease, at least in terms of being able to buy it seperately?) - applied very sparingly. Put it on one tooth/valley on a gear in a train (usually pairs, or in the case of the WW M38 diff, the three inner gears & the two outer gears, for example) & it will spread to all of them quite quickly. Any more than can be seen barely visible is at best doing nothing, at worse it's creating drag & is a magnet for dirt & accelerated wear.

:)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.