Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 5 months ago #4407

Done a bit of dismantling in preparation for paint stripping, cleaning, etc ... one of the wires may have fallen off the motor, and it sounded wobbly and rough as badword to start with ... but it's probably the best of the 3 correct black plastic endbell mabuchi's that I've got :)

Front tyres are useable, rears are unevenly worn & one is going to split on the sidewall if I try to use it ... I have a set of part worn "vintage" tyres & refurbished wheels though, so I might as well use those - the fronts don't have any of the lettering left, the ones that came on the car have only a hint left - but it's enough to try ... the re-re rears won't get a look in ;)

The car came without a bumper, but I do have a bent, worn & stress discolored grey/brown one - but given this is a 8/9ths mk.1 car, it probably should have a black one ... TBH the money's run out, so buying a correct vintage one is not an option, assuming this one straightens out & responds well to boiling (really - I think it was Lars that recommend that, & it does help) - I have a choice - vintage but wrong colour, or re-re but right colour ...

Otherwise, nothing to report, I had to resort to using allen keys the long way round on a few of the fasteners - and they finally let go with an audible crack - but no nasty surprises :)

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4443

No extra work gone on here - I just wanted to post a few "before" pictures :)

Attachments:

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4455

Jonny,
Keep going there mate, it will be worth it in the end, use what you have for know untill some funds are available again and then replace piece by piece, i am doing the same with my Mk.1 SS.

Looking good so far and the body is looking good after the paints been stripped.
Signed up for the progress on this one,

GING

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4458

Have boiled up the bumper ... the colour is vastly improved, but there's still a lot of UV yellowing ... the stress marks have gone, but a lot of cracks have appeared ... overall I'm not sure I'm any further forward :(

These "grey" bumpers used to be really cheap (before the re-releases), as it was the black bumpers that were rare ... now the black ones are cheap (
Attachments:

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4482

Had to strip the paint of my DT-02 wheels last night so I thought I might as well do my Scorcher wheels & the Mardave body while I was stinking the place out ...

Silver paint was on very thick, but soon started bubbling up ...

All done, but still need to pick at the corners a little ...

Attachments:

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4516

Hey JR what product do you use to safely strip the old paint? Have you ever used Dot 4 brake fluid?

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4527

Hey JR what product do you use to safely strip the old paint? Have you ever used Dot 4 brake fluid?

It's De-Solv-It Grafitti Remover - brake fluid is very slow in comparision :)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4533

Jonny,

That stuff is great, my SS body is back to original colour thanks to De-Solv-It.

Your wheel hubs have come up a treat i will after seeing yours do mine.

Keep up the great work :)

GING

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4534

Everything went in the sink for a scrub yesterday, today I've been giving the pot metal bits a going over with a wire brush is a Dremel; these are some "before" & "after" shots ...

It does take the corrosion off, but does make the colour darker ... I tried polishing one bit & it does bring the colour back a little, but it took 1/2 an hour, used up two polishing heads, & nearly burned out my cheapo dremel clone ... it's probably worth doing, but I need to find another way of doing it ...

Attachments:

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4555

Did it all by hand in the end:

Also painted the wheels & lettered the tyres ... the fronts I'll use, rears are spare:

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.