Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 3 months ago #4620

A little filling & a lot of sanding today ... the bonnet & roof rails still need some more, but here are some "before" & "after" shots ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 3 months ago #4646

Got 4 coats of grey plastic primer on the shell - I plan to sand most of it off tomorrow before hitting it with white plastic primer ...

Also did some dremelling on the re-re rear lights so I can use the clear lenses from the re-re window sprue ... I've made a few more bits shiny, polishing the the ball joints was probably going a bi far, but once I'd done one I had to carry on otherwise they wouldn't have matched :whistle:

Driver figure has the usual poor standard of moulding, so I've attacked the body part with a small sanding drum in the dremel & lost the mould join lines & have given him proper thumbs, head got a bit of attention with a scalpel & set & dry paper before getting a good slap of filler :)

Attachments:

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 3 months ago #4670

More sanding today ... first, the drivers head:

Body got sprayed with grey plastic primer yesterday...

... so I attacked it with used 2000 grit wet & dry - you don't get much fine than that - it's smooth with a capital SMOO :D

it's not very aggressive though, I had to work fairly hard to get through it where I needed to ...

TommieG was kind enough to post some pictures of what the Scorcher door handles should look like, TBH I wasn't confident that I could do them that fine, or that they'd stick well enough to the body if I did, so I went a bit chunkier ... to start with, I just cut a couple of slivers of 3mm styrene to the correct angle & length ...

... squared up the edges by sanding ...

... used the smallest sanding drum & lowest speed I could in my Dremel for the inside curve ...

... ditto for the outers ...

... finally put some curves on the edges by hand sanding & glued them on ...

... also glued on the other bits, so the body is ready for white plastic primer tomorrow, weather permitting :)

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 3 months ago #4681

Looks like this will be a real Jonny Retro Special. Great work on the details for the door handles. B)

The pic below gave me a flashback to the 80s. The "Take on me" video by A-ha...

He's just missing the goggles. :side:

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 3 months ago #4682

That body is looking awesome i wish i had your patience and attention to detail this is going to look brilliant when its finished :)

Re: Cheapo Scorcher 12 years 3 months ago #4687

That body is looking awesome i wish i had your patience and attention to detail this is going to look brilliant when its finished :)

I'll tell you about patience :whistle: ...

I spent about 45 minutes on the first handle, and just as I'd finished, it escaped under my bench ... after 1/2 an hour looking for it I was ready to stamp on the shell & fit a repro Rough Rider shell instead ... I had to take a few deep breaths & go and do something else for a couple of hours :angry:

Scorcher Mech. Speed control ... I don't get it :( 12 years 3 months ago #4688

I'm looking at the MSC I pulled out of my cheapo Scorcher as I want to rewire & reuse it ... but I could use a bit of a sanity check as I've been trying to work out how it works & my frontal lobes are trying to tie themselves in a knot & take my eyeballs with them...

First, it's a two-speed control - 1/2 speed (I guess) & full power, + the same in reverse ?

The circuit breaker being on the negative side of the battery connector is correct - at least according to the manual ?

- and -

looking at the top side of where the resistor wires connect to - this, well let's be polite & call it "aftermarket" soldering is wrong, will effectively bypass the resistor & turn the speed control into an on/off switch, and I need to decouple it ?

TIA

:)

Attachments:

Re: Scorcher Mech. Speed control ... I don't get it :( 12 years 3 months ago #4689

Went with what seemed logical, rewired it & worked it out retrospectively :whistle:

"Low speed"

Current flows from +ve side of battery connector (1) to +ve track on MSC (2), and is passed to the +ve side of the motor by one of the pickups (3) ...
... then flows back to the other pickup (4)
... onto to the resistor track (5), then off to the resistor (which should be connected at 6) ...
from the resistor back to the -ve track (7) ...
on to the circuit breaker (8) ...
& back to the battery connector -ve (9)

"High speed":

Current flows from +ve side of battery connector (1) to +ve track on MSC (2), and is passed to the +ve side of the motor by one of the pickups (3) ...
... then flows back to the other pickup (4)
...to the -ve track (7) ...
on to the circuit breaker (8) ...
& back to the battery connector -ve (9)

Reverse is the same, but 3 & 4 are reversed, spinning the motor the other way :)

Note @ edou - any chance of merging this with the scorcher thread? Ta :)
:)
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Scorcher Mech. Speed control ... I don't get it :( 12 years 3 months ago #4691

Nice job on the rewire looks like new B)

Re: Scorcher Mech. Speed control ... I don't get it :( 12 years 3 months ago #4692

Nice job on the rewire looks like new B)

Thanks, and as someone once said, "Not a bad bit of rescuing, huh? You know, sometimes I amaze even myself" :D

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.