Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

RC replica of the Baker(edit, built started pics) 6 years 10 months ago #44210

Baker Torpedo, that is this...

It was a car way ahead of it's time, but measly easy to do today, even as a operative replica (same Chassis, same mechanical distribution...)

Edit, this Wednesday I began, first the chassis frame.

goo.gl/photos/w...718C728UG6 just some Aluminum stock, partly cut so I can bend it 59cm x 16cm is it's measurements, recently had luck with the parts because I found a discarded sheet metal scale, it doesn't work, but its a trove of raw material, oh also free.? When done, both axles would be directly on the corners, making it HUGE... (Oh yes, body should be 15 cm longer than chassis.)
Oh, BTW I need to close the chassis at the back, got some rivet's, would do that tomorrow.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: BCM06

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Dash_Crash.

Wanting to do this, a RC replica of the 1902 Baker 6 years 10 months ago #44211

Awesome project Dash.

Wanting to do this, a RC replica of the 1902 Baker 6 years 10 months ago #44212

That would look cool as an RC! Go for it!
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Wanting to do this, a RC replica of the 1902 Baker 6 years 10 months ago #44222

First things first, chassis seems to be just a rectangular shape made of either wood or metal ( Opposed to water or raisin jello ) this means I just need some metal (Aluminium surely) frame, the baker seemed to lack a differential, but would try to equip one ( so it's drivable, but as a record buster I'm sure cutting corners wasn't on the designer mind) the second part: axles, to try to keep it simple would put a f1 axle on the back (bonus it has a differential and proper hex wheel mounts) on the back, while I'll try to get the loose parts of the steering of a SRC6000 for the front. With this I obtain a running chassis. For wheels, I'm pointed to use four front wheels of a 2wd buggy because they appear huge on a 1 10 car and also are thin. For the motor I want a 380 type, because it looks to scale to the real deal, and real speed would not be expected on this ( 1902 record was 110 km/h, the baker was capable of 130, or 13 km/h in 1/10 and the real deal crashed on some curious spectators) the baker also had leaf spring transverse suspension with no shocks (!), also it lacked proper brakes, being just a friction drum on rear axle, it crashed thanks to this...

Radio equipment : a basic 2.4 GHz RX with a servo for steering and a relay for powering the motor as an all or nothing deal, that explains my intention to infra motorize it... Also this allow me to put a mechanism for rear brakes because I doubt this had a reverse...

Wanting to do this, a RC replica of the 1902 Baker 6 years 10 months ago #44223

Be carefull with the full or nothing and a small motor. You maybe need to push with your hand to avoid to be in blocked throttle and burn your circuit.

Wanting to do this, a RC replica of the 1902 Baker 6 years 10 months ago #44228

Ideas are the easy part - starting a project is a little more difficult, completing it even more so ... maybe this is the one to properly motivate you.

A faithful replica has merit, but I can't help thinking I'd rather see something that's a bit more of a technological tour de force (or low flying missile if you prefer) - multiple S lipo, dual brushless motors with adjustable belt drive for pinion changes, powered by twin ESCs, a tail mixer in lieu of a differential & heading lock gyro for stability ... maybe that's for mk.III though - mk.I to tackle the body shape (what sort of buck? Vacform, panel beaten aluminium?, etc) & Sand Scorcher fronts all round, mk.II proper wheels (small lathe, etc) ...

:)

Wanting to do this, a RC replica of the 1902 Baker 6 years 9 months ago #44469

found that the chassis would be an aluminium deal, 60x16 cm at 1/10, so, axles must be about 18,5 cm from tip of screw to tip of the opposite side of total width. (wheels poke out of the chassis) those measures are mere guesstimate because the utter lack of measurements data and reverse engineered by extrapolating a driver of 6ft to everything else found out that the tamiya f104 has that width, doubt comes to wheelbase, also found that the 1902 baker was capable of 200+ km/h , so in 1/10 it would be 20 ish km/h, so an f104 chassis has to be detuned for that...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by Dash_Crash.

Wanting to do this, a RC replica of the 1902 Baker 6 years 9 months ago #44495

Did the chassis out of aluminum it measures 59 cm length x 17cm wide. I still need to rivet it...
But, a problem, forgot the formula to calculate scaled down weight, according my faulty calculus, it has to weight 51 kilos! X(
Isn't real weight (1400kg) divided by 3?

Wanting to do this, a RC replica of the 1902 Baker 6 years 9 months ago #44498

there's anyway I can use a F104 rear axle assembly with pulleys and rubber band? I decided to solve rear axle with an F104 assembly, but because I want to make it extra silent, I want to use a rubber belt between motor and axle...

Wanting to do this, a RC replica of the 1902 Baker 6 years 9 months ago #44591

help with rims, decided to make them myself, idea is to use two 70mm metal washers sandwiching a centre of plywood (Like the real deal!) Problem is finding a 70mm metal disc with a centre hole of 4mm...

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.