TOPIC: Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 5 years 7 months ago #3996

edit:

This thread has gone beyond what I originally started it for, so I've renamed it (again) "Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering" (from "Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering", formerly "Scale boxes + weathering" and before that "Scale boxes"); & to help navigate around it cobbled together this list:

Page 1: "wooden" crate, cooler box, "barn" style toolbox, basic instrument case

Page 2: Ammo boxes & more crates; weathering - dry brushing & washes; mk.1 Tool chests

Page 3: finished tool chest; shelving unit & bench; mk.1 oxy-acetylene kit & TIG welder

Page 4: finished mk.1 oxy-acetylene kit & TIG welder[/url]

Page 5

Page 6: Fuel Cells started

Page 7: Radiators started

Page 8: Radiators continued, mk.2 welding kit started

Page 9: Radiator epic fail, mk.2 welding kit & fuel cells finished, pallets

Page 10

Page 11: Axle stands, trolley jack, cable & hose reels, Haynes manuals

Page 12: Bench pillar drill

Page 13: Lathe started

Page 14: Lathe finished

Page 15: Bench Grinder, beer cans & fridge started

Page 16: Fridge finished

Page 17: Henry Hoover, Compressor started

Page 18: Compressor finished, fire extinguishers & stand, pile of wood, grease tubs, air filter/oil filter/disposable gloves boxes

Page 19: Garage started

Page 20: Garage construction finished

Page 21: Garage sprayed

Page 22: Garage door & walls detail painted/weathered

Page 23: RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) started

Page 24: RIB construction finished, paint (incl. wood & rubber effects)

Page 25: Skip (dumpster) & fill

Page 26: skip fill finished, starter trolley & pressure washer started

:)

edit ends

edit 2: 22sep14 - added pages 15 to 24 key

Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes ...

I like to see bits & bobs on the roof of a scaler - but I don't want to pay the huge amounts the few bits available cost - which will then look the same as everyone elses... at the moment I have a "cheap" cast resin oil drum, toolbox & inappropriate set of spare wheel on the roof of my Frog-based (really) Bowler Wildcat - but having a big pile of styrene sheet & some time on my hands, I thought I'd have a go at making some boxes - this is where I've got to so far:

First up, a "wooden" crate ... I cut up some sheet for the "plywood" sides - 3mm, for strength ... probably over the top - it's resulted in a crate that I (or any two regular people) could stand on ... added 1.5mm sheet top & bottom, sanded it with 240 grit wet & dry in one direction, the idea being I'd get some wood grain effect going on, then added strips of pre-sanded 1.5mm sheet for the "wood":

I thought I'd also try a "plastic" cooler box - construction was the same as the crate to start, but with careful attention to getting rounded edges on the sides & base (used 240 grit then 800 grit) - then used "Squadron White" putty to fill any gaps ...

I wanted to try a guitar case (think "Desperado" rather than James Blunt :whistle: ), but thought that might be a bit ambitious for a first try, so started on a "barn" type toolbox - doors (roof?) will come later - and a nondescript instrument case ... again, basic construction is as per the crate, sanding & filling as per the cooler ...

Last Edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Scale boxes 5 years 7 months ago #4025

Toolbox didn't turn out as planned, so I just closed off the holes & slapped some filler on it ...

Cooler got an extra strip for the "lid" & a bit more filler, + a handle ...

All ready for primer ...

Attachments:

Re: Scale boxes 5 years 7 months ago #4026

... and jsut in case anyone forgot what primer looks like :whistle:

... seriously though, it's only once you start to put primer on something that you get to see how well (or not) it's going to work - I'm pleased with the cooler, fairly happy with the crate - but the toolbox & instrument case needed more detail.
Attachments:

Re: Scale boxes 5 years 7 months ago #4029

It is so cool to see your work on these little things!
Are they going on the XR311 or something else?

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Last Edit: by larbut.

Re: Scale boxes 5 years 7 months ago #4032

larbut wrote: It is so cool to see your work on these little things!
Are they going on the XR311 or something else?

-Lars

They'll be going on top of the world's least capable scaler - my Frog based Bowler Wildcat :)

These are some old photos, I've fiddled with it since ...

Attachments:

Re: Scale boxes 5 years 7 months ago #4036

lets forget about Bob, here is.....
tim Jonny 'Tool Time' taylor Retro :woohoo:

I got to stop reading your posts is totaly keeping me off of my restorations.
Last Edit: by waterbok.

Re: Scale boxes 5 years 7 months ago #4038

Great detailed stuff. Love that Wildcat. B)

Re: Scale boxes 5 years 7 months ago #4060

Finished this batch ...

Instrument case is semi gloss black, dry brushed with dark grey, aluminium & brown details ...

Toolbox is 3 coats of flat red, 1 of gloss, aluminium dry brushing ...

Cooler is 3 coats of flat white, one of gloss, 1 coat of flat blue & one of gloss ... which I should have thinned down a bit ...

Crate is 2 coats of buff, dry brushed with flat earth, dark grey & NATO brown, washed with med grey & buff

I'm going to try a few ammo boxes & ammo crates next :)
Attachments:
Last Edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Scale boxes 5 years 7 months ago #4090

Very nice painting and detailing!
I wish you could make a step by step guide to painting like this... :blush:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Scale boxes 5 years 7 months ago #4105

I "Installed" the new boxes ... the disadvantage of not having a proper roof rack is you really have to make sure everything is tied down properly :(

It all stayed on all right though - several quite hard thumps, 2 occasions of parking it on it's roof, and multiple getting stuck-ages ...

Which is more than can be said for the left "headlight" :whistle:

Attachments:
Moderators: Jonny Retroandyaus
Time to create page: 5.928 seconds