Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Scale boxes 12 years 4 months ago #4106

Very nice painting and detailing!
I wish you could make a step by step guide to painting like this... :blush:

-Lars

I'm a bit of an amateur at this myself, but as it happens, my 2nd batch is progressing quite well ...

... a hasty prime with grey plastic primer & a quick spray (Humbrol light olive) later:

"Dry Brushing" is a bit of a misnomer - the brush shouldn't be entirely dry otherwise no paint will get laid down :whistle:

... a little Metallic Grey on edges that could have got scraped, if this was a real box, and made out of metal ...

... and a bit of Humbrol "rust" ...

A "wash" is simply thinned down paint, brushed on -not only do you get a general layer of "dirt", but surface tension makes the thinned paint form a meniscus at details, so as it dries, more paint gets left there...

This is something like 4 drops of NATO green, 2 of Matt black, and 4ml of water, mixed on the plastic lid of a takeaway tray ...

... slapped on ...

... and dabbed off on the larger flat expanses ...

... after drying ... I felt this wasn't quite enough ...

... so repeated the process with a 1 part matt black, 4 parts water mix, carefully brushed on with a fine brush just where I wanted it ...

... this was a little too dark, so I tamed it selectively with a 4-1 mix of NATO green...

... crates to follow when I've done them :)
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Scale boxes 12 years 4 months ago #4114

Moving on to the crates, first I dy brushed them with a little NATO Brown, varying the amounts on each crate ...

... also dry brushed Medium Grey in the same proportions ...

... a light colour wash with NATO Green (something like 1 part paint to 9 parts water) just wasn't dense enough...

... so I tried a much heavier wash - 2 parts paint to 3 parts water ...

:)
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Scale boxes 12 years 4 months ago #4115

Jonny,
These tutorials are coming on nicely ;)
Not to mention the boxes and crates. They look brilliant now, well done!

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Scale boxes 12 years 4 months ago #4120

Jonny,

Great work there keep them coming :)

GING

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #4970

I have another 3 cooler boxes 1/3rd - 1/2 done, but I can't find the motivation to finish them :(

I did manage to get some interest in another scale "box" that I'd been meaning to do for some time - the toolchests I got around 3 years ago when I got sick of juggling 6 or more toolboxes...

They're too buried in junk for me to take a photo of, so I lifted these straight from the Halfords site ... curiously enough, they're on offer now at the same price I paid ...

Started off with open boxes of 3mm styrene & lots of filler ... these will be competely non-functional, maybe I'll do a mk.2 with the lid & a couple of drawers open...

Bits for the drawer fronts for the smaller chest - 1.5mm square for the handles, 1mm sheet for the drawer fronts, more 3mm sheet to support:

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #4974

Sanded, drawer fronts in, handle ... just have to find something for wheels, & paint :)

Attachments:

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #4975

Jonny,

Loving the work,
You could try the mini-skate board (Tech-Deck) wheels, about the right size i think?

BR
GING
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #4976

Looks very good already. :cheer:

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #4977

Jonny,

Loving the work,
You could try the mini-skate board (Tech-Deck) wheels, about the right size i think?

BR
GING

Thanks :) ... but TBH I was thinking more on the lines of buttons :)

Re: Scale boxes & toolchest, + weathering 12 years 3 months ago #4988

Jonny,
You have just been awarded the "Paint Wiz award in Silver" because of your awesome work in this topic!

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.614 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.