Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Striker Backwards throttle! 8 years 2 weeks ago #37895

Hello Im new here and have been really enjoying cruising around this site.
Im in the midst of restoring the old Striker that me and my brother got back in '87. I found it in my parents garage about a month agao and have made a lot of progress. It's looking great and is near complete. Just waiting on a few more parts.
This car has a MSC and I'll probably get an ESC in the future.
What's happening right now is the throttle controls are working backwards. I push the stick forwards and the car runs in reverse and vice versa. The steering works fine.
The motor is wired up right with the green to green and yellow to yellow wire wise. My radio controller is a Techniplus AP-275 MkII.
Pretty simple. 2 joysticks and an on off switch. No other switches for other channels etc..
The reciver in the car is an acoms IC reciever with all the wires hard wired into it.
So...Im not sure what could be causing this. I read that the motor wires could be swapped. But that leaves me thinking why? The wires are colour coded.
If anyone know what this could be or know of any quick fixes, I 'd greatly apppreciate it.
Glad I found this site.

Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Striker Backwards throttle! 8 years 2 weeks ago #37896

Hey and welcome, With the standard silvercan motor you have it doesn't matter which way around the wires are as long as the car goes forward when you push the stick up :) However if you really want the wires connected as the manual states I believe with those controllers you can unscrew the surround, then turn the stick mech around so that it works the other way :) I'm away for a couple of weeks so can't check on 1 of the six I have, but Jonny Retro will probably know of hand :y:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Tamiya Striker Backwards throttle! 8 years 2 weeks ago #37899

Welcome on board.
We like pictures here;)

Re:Tamiya Striker Backwards throttle! 8 years 2 weeks ago #37903

Just swap the motor wires, had the same problem with my Hornet

Tamiya Striker Backwards throttle! 8 years 2 weeks ago #37905

The Striker manual says to plug yellow to green & green to yellow; several cars are like that & there's nothing wrong, it just depends on which side the motor is and how many gears are in the gearbox :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus, J.Harv

Tamiya Striker Backwards throttle! 8 years 2 weeks ago #37908

Thanks to all of you. Yeah... I guess I over looked that part in the instructions with the wires. I just looked at the picture and assumed it was same colour to same colour wire. I'll read the description next time.
I'll post a couple pics of the Striker.
The restoration is almost done. The only thing Im dissapointed at is that I didn't take a before picture. Im pretty bad for this when it comes time for me to fix and clean things up. I just grabbed the car from my parents garage and dove in. By the time I had the body repainted , is when I realised I forgot to take a picture. It was pretty rough looking with all these weird decals my brother put on way back when.
Right now Im waiting on some new rear tires to arrive in the mail. We put larger rear wheels on it back in the 80's. They're on it right now waiting to be swapped.
I did just get a NOS pair of rear rims. But the tires I have now are too big. So I located a set of tires from a Thundershot on ebay and Im waiting for them to arrive. I heard they will fit.
Im also waiting on 4 CVA dampers. And a CRP front suspension kit so I can put the front dampers on. Im a little hesitant though because I heard you have to cut some of the body away for it to fit. And my car is painted and stickered up. I guess cutting into the body should have been done before that. When It arrives, I'll have to see how brave I am at the time. If I can find a way to make a clean cut without cracking the body, I'll most likely do it.
Im also waiting on a sport tuned motor to arrive too. I'll most likely get an ESC in the future too.
I just want a fun car to rip around empty parking lots for now. Even though Im wary about that because it looks real nice with new paint and decals. I still have to put on the lower decals. I"ll do this after putting on the new shocks.
Alright, enough waffling from me. here it is...
Thanks again.

Jason

Attachments:

Last edit: by J.Harv.

Tamiya Striker Backwards throttle! 8 years 2 weeks ago #37910

Hey mate, great restoration! My first RC was the Striker so I have a soft spot for it. Yes the tyres your waiting on are the correct ones for the original Striker rims, the ones you have on there currently are the Wildone rears with oval block tyres. If you'll be blasting around car parks keep the Oval block wheels on there as they will last much better?
The following user(s) Liked this: J.Harv

Tamiya Striker Backwards throttle! 8 years 2 weeks ago #37911

The Striker manual says to plug yellow to green & green to yellow; several cars are like that & there's nothing wrong, it just depends on which side the motor is and how many gears are in the gearbox :)

Might be a daft question, aren't all the Strikers that Tamiya made identical? :silly:
My other car is a Tamiya - bumper sticker on my van

Tamiya Striker Backwards throttle! 8 years 2 weeks ago #37912

Might be a daft question, aren't all the Strikers that Tamiya made identical? :silly:

Last edit: by AndyAus.

Tamiya Striker Backwards throttle! 8 years 2 weeks ago #37914

Oh i c now, mustn't read things really late at night & really early in the morning. :huh:
My other car is a Tamiya - bumper sticker on my van

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.