Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

58124 Super Hornet 2 years 9 months ago #67752

Not quite finished, but a complete and running car again.

After my daughter placed me under orders on Saturday night: "Daddy, get it finished before you go to bed" (she has been waiting patiently for a month), the plan was to take it out on Sunday.  But the weather got in the way.  So she had her first go at running an RC in the house.  Everything survived.  I think.  It did cut out, so hoping just battery and not a burnt out resistor.  Haven't taken a look yet.

Updates;

Modified the gearbox mounts to use stronger springs, as those piddly little Tamiya ones just break.  Am using a spring from a clicky pen, cut down to size.  Also placed an M4 nylon washer on the end of the gearbox, to deal with wear and tear.  My only concern is the gearbox regularly hitting the nut/washer.  Will probably fit a longer spring so that it bottoms out before the gearbox hits the nut.
I have some black anodised bolts & nuts on order.  Will redo and take better pics.

Fitted all the electronics and new servos.

Bolted it all back together.
Found a good sized adjustable rod for a front strutbar.  Have used some dodgy home made jobbies, from scrap plastic parts to coathanger wire.  Downside is that the bar needs to be removed to fit the body.  And to remove the bar I need to remove a front shock.  Am thinking up an easier 'quick-fit' option.
Front shocks are a bit short (thanks to ebay sizes), some longer ones on order.  Though, for street running the massive camber should help cornering!!!

Started work on the body.  So far fixed the broken cabin.  Sanded and polished the roof and wing.  Roof looks 10x better, the wing still has some sanding marks so will give it another going over.
The body is fairly battle scared, so will never be perfect.  Also deciding how far to go, as mentioned i don't want to lose all the decals.....  But as they say - Bones heal, and Chicks dig scar's.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Jonny Retro, Edou, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, GToddC5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ducksnuts.

58124 Super Hornet 2 years 8 months ago #67950

Took the car out for a run last week.  Mounted a small video camera in the cabin.Apparently;
  • I need to change the date on the camera.  Manual doesn't really say how, but supposedly I can disable the time stamp.
  • What I thought was 'Up' is actually sideways.
The footage came out crazy rough, as my front lawn is a bit bumpy at the moment and the front springs are too stiff.

Here's a screenshot from the video.  It's not HD, but i should be able to eventually get some good footage.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Last edit: by Ducksnuts.

58124 Super Hornet 2 years 8 months ago #67968

My black anodised screw, bolts, & nuts arrived.  So re-did the gearbox mounts and got some better shots.  Car still a bit dusty from it's last run.

Replaced previous nyloc + washer with a flanged nyloc.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, jord001, GToddC5

58124 Super Hornet 1 year 7 months ago #72769

The SH has a had few short runs around the yard whilst i spent a few months looking to see if I could track down a replacement body.  Haven't seen any NIB bodies, and the only others available are worse than mine or asking AUD300+ for a complete car.  So, decided to do just stick with mine and do some more tidy up on it.  Was bit of a pain working around the existing decals, and still a few small areas to sand and buff out.

Put on the remaining decals that were never used.  Whilst they are in excellent nic, the adhesive has started to go off and are lifting around some edges.  So I ordered a new repro set from MCI.  Which means I'll probably now strip the whole thing back, tidy up my slightly bodgy repairs, and then paint it.  Which also means, due to the scarcity of bodies, it'll probably become a shelf queen, so i'll revert back to the original CVA shocks and orange wheels.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus, Lemsko

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.