Keyword

TOPIC:

56001 M4 Sherman 7 months 3 weeks ago #76442

Flo' the Kübel is 1:16 scale, says so on the box.

And yes tanks are 1:16 as well.

Yes, the Kubel is part of the 56xxx 1/16 tanks series.  It is the only non-tank in this line-up.  I've got one in the box waiting to be built.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

56001 M4 Sherman 7 months 3 weeks ago #76444

Shame on me. 

56001 M4 Sherman 7 months 3 weeks ago #76446

• Al
  • Al's Avatar Topic Author
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Thank you Blakbird for the help and your build threads are always super informative. Sadly the gear box is not the same on the Flakpanzer, Tamiya decided to ditch the 2, 360 motors for a single 540 I think. I’ve been doing something similar and seeing what parts were carried over to subsequent models. But the original 56001 gear box is unique.
I was trying to reconstruct the gear box today based on some photos I’d found, but I’m still missing enough detail to work it all out. I think I’ve got the front drive section sorted ??? , but I’m really at a loss over the rest. I don’t think it helps that I suspect some of the shafts have possibly been cut !!!???
I’ll post some pics tomorrow.
Many thanks to everyone.

Last edit: by Al.

56001 M4 Sherman 7 months 3 weeks ago #76447

Thank you Blakbird for the help and your build threads are always super informative. Sadly the gear box is not the same on the Flakpanzer, Tamiya decided to ditch the 2, 360 motors for a single 540 I think. I’ve been doing something similar and seeing what parts were carried over to subsequent models. But the original 56001 gear box is unique.

You're right, the 56001 is different because of the motor placement, but much of the gearbox is very similar to the Flakpanzer.  Maybe close enough that the pictures may be of some value to you.  Sadly, since the gearboxes came pre-built in the box the manuals don't really present any information on the internals or build sequence.  Good luck, I really hope you manage to get it running.  That's a real piece of history you have there.

56001 M4 Sherman 7 months 3 weeks ago #76448

This oiling diagram from the manual should theoretically allow reconstruction of the gearbox, provided you have all the parts.  Looks like a fun puzzle.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, mirrorman

56001 M4 Sherman 7 months 3 weeks ago #76451

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hi Blakbird, that does seem to be the only image in the instructions. I’ve found a couple of images on the internet.
Thanks.

56001 M4 Sherman 7 months 3 weeks ago #76457

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
So yesterday I started cleaning up the gear box parts. And this is as far as I can build it up with any degree of accuracy.

And this could still be wrong ???

These are the bits I’ve got left over.
At this point I’m waiting on a couple of motors.
Long term I could ditch the clutch assembly, seeing as I haven’t got it and I could try to copy the twin MSC idea. Or with an 2 motors could you use an ESC ?

I could really do with some actual photos of this gear box to see if I have the parts to completely the gear box, even if they’ve been butchered.
I’m going to reach out to people on the FB tank forums and see if I can get any help there.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, mirrorman

56001 M4 Sherman 7 months 3 weeks ago #76460

You could find a clod buster msc for the 2 motors?

56001 M4 Sherman 7 months 3 weeks ago #76461

Long term I could ditch the clutch assembly, seeing as I haven’t got it and I could try to copy the twin MSC idea. Or with an 2 motors could you use an ESC ? 

The gearbox can be configured to drive the two motors totally independently if you want to omit the clutch assembly (if you have the right parts).  You can't use a single ESC (even a dual motor one) or both motors will just drive together and you'll only be able to go straight.  With two ESCs connected to two channels you could drive the motor with two sticks as a skid steer.  Alternatively, tank mixing ESCs exist (and the Tamiya DMD units used on later tanks are examples).  With this type of ESC you would have separate throttle and steering on the transmitter and the mixing of the motors would be done electronically.

Personally, I'd recommend trying to make the tank original.  If you want an electronically mixed Tamiya Sherman you could just get the 56013 re-release which already does all of that.  What makes that original 1974 model special is the way they managed to incorporate the control system with ancient technology.  On the other hand, if the model you bought doesn't have the right parts it could be a nearly impossible challenge to get it working without making changes.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

56001 M4 Sherman 7 months 3 weeks ago #76468

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Thanks Blakbird. I do usually like the challenge of keeping things original. This one is definitely going into the long term project list. I think I’m going to need to make some contacts on the tank forums to get this sorted ???
The following user(s) Liked this: GToddC5

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.