Keyword

TOPIC:

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 7 months ago #45737

Jonny Retro Inspired by these wonderful works I bought some ABS plates and methylene chloride. When I received the methylene chloride packaging I was a bit scared ... it says it is for industrial use only and by authorized professionals suspected of causing cancer, it causes eye irritations, skin irritations, respiratory irritation, drowsiness, dizziness ... use only in ventilated spaces, and protective clothing, facial protection ...
I confess that I have some fear of using it. I think that's what you use to stick ABS, have you had any problems?

Looking at the label on a squeezy bottle of Poly Cement (the other main option for sticking Styrene/ABS bits), it has pretty much all the same warnings...

You'll have to make your own decision, but there's a world of difference between the way I use it (keep the door to the hobby room open, use it at a sensible distance, not breathe right over it - same as I would any other "indoor" glue/paint/solvent; I decant it into a small glass bottle (60ml or so) for topping up the jar I work from (Tamiya 10ml), apply in very small quanties using a small brush, and close up the jar when not in use) & sloshing it around in quantity as a paint remover, bath refinishing solvent or whatever.

:)

The only real problem I've had with it is ruining cutting mats (and whatever styrene parts are on them) when I'm cakhanded enough to knock the jar over :whistle:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 7 months ago #45739

• VCR
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Thanks Jonny Retro. I'll make sure I'm careful when using it.

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 7 months ago #45763

Battery (6V 12AH lead acid unit) ...

... and the jiffy bag it arrived in :blink: No damage, but I still think it was stupid & dangerous not to parcel it up properly.

Reel complete ...

... but none of the detail/boxing in on the ends of the cutting head done yet. Electrics (UBEC, Tamiya TEU101BK ESC, Flysky 6ch RX, 35T motor & cheap metal gear servo) lashed up so I could give it a quick test drive ... I could sacrifice half the speed for more torque - but on the other hand, If I can manage the behemoth at its current top speed indoor without hitting any furniture, maybe I don't need to.

Battery weighs in at just under 2KG, making the total weight so far 5KG :blink: Balance point is around the motor at the moment, for no reason other than it seems about right. I made sure I got a battery that could fit at the far end of the bodywork (albeit very high up) if it needs to move to maintain the balance as things get added on.

Attachments:

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 7 months ago #45764

Dude Jonny. The battery packaging is realy light.... :whistle: :pinch:

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 6 months ago #46095

Utterly trivial bit of progress - I bought a set of reproduction dividers to replace the incomplete ones on the 1:32 combine ... VW Mars Red over red oxide primer seemed like a logical combination, but turned out far too bright and orange ... when it comes to painting the finished 1:10 version, mixing my own colour match is out of the question as there's no way I'm airbrushing such a behemoth. Hycote make a "Post Office Red" in 400ml aerosols so I'll give that a try instead :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 5 months ago #46632

Actually felt like doing a bit of work on this ... first up - not a toilet seat (although that does give me an idea for a scale "accessory" ;) ) ...

It's a motor steady to add a third point of contact between the chassis and the gearbox, as just having two meant the cutting head was taking on a permanent list in either direction ... initially this was meant to just be a test/proof of concept & I'd remake the part in aluminium, but TBH that's a lot of work, and if the motor is getting hot enough that the styrene is in danger of melting, having an aluminium block conduct that heat in to the chassis instead ins not the answer, there's something else that needs looking at ...

Anyway, cutting head has been removed, starting on the box on the left side ...

Note hole in top to access the grubscrew holding in the skate bearing for the left end of the reel - I really didn't plan that very well :(

Lid on, note also the layers of 3mm styrene on the business end of the divider ...

Working on the other divider parts:

Left side complete ... note 3.125:1 scale cheese head screw :D

... and right side (a lot simpler to do).

Thinking ahead, the next step will be to reattach the cutting head & work out where the various "floors" and spars needed to support the body & cab need to go ...
The following user(s) Liked this: oldwilly, stingray-63, VCR

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 5 months ago #46633

This is such an awesome machine! :y: :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 5 months ago #46634

Really nice work !
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 5 months ago #46636

That's amazing looking work there Jonny! I love the scaled up cheese head screw :laugh:
I am always inspired , thank you....
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

1:10 scale farm machinery scratchbuilds 6 years 5 months ago #46696

Really original idea and impressive work.
I'm speechless:woohoo:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.