Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SRB Ford Ranger wheel screws 9 years 6 months ago #31692

Hmm... just wondering....

As I understand, both the RR and the SS were at first delivered with "normal" screws for the wheels, and somwhere along the line they changed to "phillips head" screws. Making the "normal" screws Mk1 and the phillips Mk2. The SC was "phillips head" from the start, AFAIK. So my question is, did the Ford Ranger ever come with "normal" screws or was it, like the SC, "phillips head" only?

Tom

Please Log in to join the conversation.

SRB Ford Ranger wheel screws 9 years 6 months ago #31693

The more cars I see the less sure I am that there is any firm date when Tamiya switched from slot head ("regular") M2 screws to JIS ("Japanese Industry Standard", often denoted by a small dot on the head - definitely not "Phillips" head), there are just too many oddities, I've seen Super Champs, Frogs & even a Grasshopper with the "early" slot head screws, and even some kits with both sorts in.

Presumably Tamiya got their fasteners from multiple sources, maybe sometimes an odd box would turn up after a stock check ... I would think it's entirely possible that early Rangers (especially ones with the early, short front wheel arch bodies) would have had slot type wheel screws, and later ones would have been JIS.

If I really had to be pinned down to actual dates, I would say kits made before mid 1978 would probably not have JIS M2 fasteners in them, and anything after autumn 1984 would probably not have slot head M2 screws. That leaves a very big changeover period though, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the what the Ranger should have, either could be deemed "correct".

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

SRB Ford Ranger wheel screws 9 years 6 months ago #31694

Thanks Jonny.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.