Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Loud Transmission, Fox 8 years 2 months ago #36721

Hi all,

Ok so I have another noob question. I have run my fox several times now. ezrun 9T motor. I have also used anti wear grease to re grease the gears many times over. For some reason it just seems to run louder. I dunno why. It's not the brushless as I've pulled that apart and cleaned it thoroughly. But when compared to the frog transmission the fox is super loud, and getting louder. The frog however is just nice and quiet. Apologies if this sounds like dum question, but any idea why? I've used rubber shielded bearings all over the fox btw.

Cheers :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Loud Transmission, Fox 8 years 2 months ago #36722

I'd check the motor pinion first myself... if it's aluminium it might wear quickly with a brushless.

Last edit: by Edou.

Loud Transmission, Fox 8 years 2 months ago #36723

Is it a rere fox? I know that the transmission on the fox is a little more complexe. And the frog is really lighter. The frog gearbox is thinner with a plastic/aloy sandwich. That is less noisy

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Loud Transmission, Fox 8 years 2 months ago #36726

The Fox has a bigger gearbox with more plastic, it's theoretically possible it could resonate more & therefore be louder, but there are lots of other things to check:
- pinion wear (as already mentioned)
- pinion alignment (where it is on the motor shaft)
- pinion mesh (whether youv'e got the motor in the right place for the pinion)
- worn /broken teeth (most likely place for breaks is the small side of the spur gear)
- worn/damaged bearings/shafts
- incorrect assembly (diff. in backwards, wrong spacers etc)

If you're using Tamiya AW Grease (or equivalent) it's totally the wrong thing to use on gears as it's far too viscous (with the possible exception of internal diff gears if you want to really slow its action).

Loud Transmission, Fox 8 years 2 months ago #36734

Whoa.. Ok u guys have given me an awesome check list.. I'll get into it and keep u guys posted. Thanks :)

Loud Transmission, Fox 8 years 2 months ago #36735

Turning the wheels by hand might also give some clues as to whether there's serious resistance anywhere in the drive train...
You could keep an eye (actually, a hand) on the temperature of the motor in that respect too.

Last edit: by Edou.

Loud Transmission, Fox 8 years 2 months ago #36843

Thanks Edou...

Actually i was just thinking. When i built the frog i had just purchased a hand full of rubber shielded bearings. So the entire frog is made up of them.. The fox however, has regular metal bearings, except at the wheels where they are rubber shielded. Could that make a difference? Im gonna try and see

Loud Transmission, Fox 8 years 2 months ago #36844

If you haven't driven it a whole lot, I think it would be unlikely it's the bearings.
Rubber shielded should be good against moisture and dirt but the difference isn't huge...

Loud Transmission, Fox 8 years 2 months ago #36845

Absolutely no difference in hobby drive. I know that in competition pilots used rubber bearings and removed it to have less friction.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.