Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help me fix my 58086 HiLux - Gearbox woes 12 years 10 months ago #1525

Hi All

I bought a Toyota Hilux (58086) about 15 years ago and being a young child when it broke, I never had the skills or the desire to bring it back to life.

Roll on 15 years and I have just found it in my wardrobe and am ready to bring it back to life. B)

The problem revolves around the power delivery, if I lift the car into the air the wheels will spin back and forth, but as soon as you put it down you can hear it whirring away but going nowhere.

So I pulled the gearbox apart (with the help of a PDF guide on here) and found what I believe to be the culprit...the differential spur gear (or BG2)

Some of the bearings appear to be missing and the outer bearing casing is scored, is this the source of my problems? How easy is it to get replacement parts?

The diff housing and diff spacers e.t.c all seem in good condition

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by v6matt.

Re: Help me fix my 58086 HiLux - Gearbox woes 12 years 10 months ago #1526

Looks pretty shot. Can't theorize why the car wouldn't run at all though... :S

I've downloaded some manuals alraedy today so I can't look at the specifics right now.
But if you check there what parts number it is and do a search on Ebay there will hopefully be a replacement available.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Help me fix my 58086 HiLux - Gearbox woes 12 years 10 months ago #1527

Hi!
It's definitely the BG2 plastic gear that is your problem!
The plastic piece you are holding should actually be a part of the plastic gear. Look at step 15 in the manual. The small metal balls should be in their own hole in the plastic gear. The way it is now, the spur gear will just spin on the outside of the balls and the wheels will be stationary under any load.

There is as far as I can see two of these gear bags on ebay, look here and look here .
I would definitely recommend Europro975 (the last link) over the other seller (CTY300) which I've had problems with

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: v6matt

Re: Help me fix my 58086 HiLux - Gearbox woes 12 years 10 months ago #1529

Thanks larbut!

Sorry but can't see the ebay links, could you copy the auction numbers so I can search for them. Thanks :D

EDIT: Found them....

Last edit: by v6matt.

Re: Help me fix my 58086 HiLux - Gearbox woes 12 years 10 months ago #1530

Yes, they are pricey, but also quite hard to find. There are many of models from Tamiya using these gears (Madcap, Saint Dragon, Astute, Monster Hilux, Nissan king Cab) hence they are popular and pricey :-(

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

Re: Help me fix my 58086 HiLux - Gearbox woes 12 years 10 months ago #1531

I've downloaded some manuals alraedy today so I can't look at the specifics right now.

You can always look at the manuals in the Database -> Documentation -> Manuals section. It's only downloading PDF's that is restricted. :cheer:

-Lars

Re: Help me fix my 58086 HiLux - Gearbox woes 12 years 10 months ago #1534

Thanks - hadn't thought of that yet... :S

And when I take a better look at the pics I now see that indeed the whole inside broke off!
No wonder it didn't want to run. :dry:

No my sharpest day today! :laugh:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Help me fix my 58086 HiLux - Gearbox woes 12 years 10 months ago #1535

Thanks it just seemed odd as it clips in and out perfectly, i guess it was part of the manufacturing process and it has since fallen out :/

Re: Help me fix my 58086 HiLux - Gearbox woes 12 years 10 months ago #1536

I think it would be worth restoring it because it's a really awesome (sought-after) model. ;)

Re: Help me fix my 58086 HiLux - Gearbox woes 12 years 10 months ago #1537

Agree with Edou definitely a restoration job even if you sell it on its a sought after model best

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.