Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Super Sabre Wheels 12 years 8 months ago #2420

Hi

my super sabre im fixing up has some slightly yellowed wheels and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for re whitening them? is it possible to avoid the cost of new items?

Regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Super Sabre Wheels 12 years 8 months ago #2422

Maybe you could try "boiling" them in white textile paint.
Or give them another nice new colour with the same stuff - darker colours work better of course.
I've noticed that (special) strong degreaser will make gearbox parts whiter so that might work.

Re: Super Sabre Wheels 12 years 8 months ago #2424

TBH I usually respray yellowed plastic wheels, on my Bigwig though (because they're very flat) I sanded them down with increasingly fine grades of wet & dry to reveal fresh plastic under the cack ... probably not an option with the Super Sabre wheels though...

In theory, soaking them in a bleach solution (just good old fashioned bleach, not fancy stuff like Toilet Duck) could work, as could denture cleaner, not tried either myself.

Re: Super Sabre Wheels 12 years 8 months ago #2428

Cheers JR

I have gone for sitting them in neat domestic bleach in a container and added some whitening powder i had lying around the house for good measure and plan to leave them sitting for a couple of weeks then see if anything is left of them :laugh:

ill keep you posted on the results

if this fails i may attempt your idea Edou. thought id try the easy option first :whistle:

I have finished the team blue groove bodyshell off this weekend and it looks great...im a little dissapointed with the dimensions however. it seems they have taken the mold for this shell from the inside of an original which has resulted in a shell that has different dimensions slightly. not bad but definitely not good either especially for a purist which i think alot of you guys are. i had to trim a couple of decals down to the new size in places. most noticeably the nose section of the shell falls slightly shorter on the front of the car. i thought this was just mine but having viewed a few posts on tamiya club where others have used a TBG shell i notice in the pictures they all have the same thing. I thought this was worth sharing but dont let it put you off them as they are very very good but any purists better start saving for an original. its also worth noting that around the rear of the shell around the wing also doesnt seem to follow the original as well as i would have liked. not upsetting but a little annoying and slightly dissapointing.

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Super Sabre Wheels 12 years 8 months ago #2430

Cheers JR

I have gone for sitting them in neat domestic bleach in a container and added some whitening powder i had lying around the house for good measure and plan to leave them sitting for a couple of weeks then see if anything is left of them :laugh:

ill keep you posted on the results

if this fails i may attempt your idea Edou. thought id try the easy option first :whistle:

Ah, the ever popular "because one tablet works, two must be better" school of thought :blink:

I would suggest you check whether your concoction is producing hydrogen or chlorine gases, but I won't because you'd probably do that by testing with a match, or taking a big breath & counting how many lungs you cough up :pinch:

I'd think a few minutes with undiluted bleach would be enough myself ...

Re: Super Sabre Wheels 12 years 8 months ago #2431

Ah, the ever popular "because one tablet works, two must be better" school of thought

Just experimenting with an old set of wheels that i would have binned anyway :lol:

I never mix chemicals inside the house im doing this in my garden and its very well ventilated :P

ill try them in the morning and see if they look any whiter failing this its probably easier to just order a set from ebay as i have checked and they are not a bad price thankfully

Thanks for all the advice

Re: Super Sabre Wheels 12 years 8 months ago #2434

I can honestly say I've done this with success.

Hydrogen Peroxide works, Follow this link...

tamiyaclub.com/...2&id=22525
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Re: Super Sabre Wheels 12 years 8 months ago #2436

Interesting ... what strength was that?

I just googled buying it in the uk, apparently we're limited here to 30% vol (3% peroxide), and to 250ml per month because of it's potential illegal uses - I didn't look up what those might be though :unsure:

Re: Super Sabre Wheels 12 years 8 months ago #2437

I used 25% and left it soaking in the sun for 6 hours. 30% will just bleach the part quicker.

Re: Super Sabre Wheels 12 years 8 months ago #2440

Very interesting info. Gotta remember that myself too... :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.