Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Printing own decals 12 years 2 months ago #7333

Hello everybody.

I`m very close to finish a vintage car.
Does anybody know how I can print decals on my own?

Regards,
Rainer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by rainer222.

Re: Printing repros 12 years 2 months ago #7337

That is a big no no dude. Reproducing Tamiya decals is not a good idea, And can cause copy right problems. Try finding the decals on Ebay. :lol:

Re: Printing own decals 12 years 2 months ago #7344

Try finding the decals on Ebay.

That may not be an option - or only at scandalous prices... :( :angry:
As long as you're not selling any repro what other real options do you have?
If I had the budget, I'd definitely get a laser printer and try to create some good quality for my own builds.

But why doesn't Mr. T ever help us out and make more sheets available?
Let's not start that one again though... :whistle:

Re: Printing own decals 12 years 2 months ago #7350

You need some THIN waterproof inkjet printable sticky sheets, normally available on Ebay or from stationary shops. Get clear AND white sheets, cos remember your printer won't print white, plus less dark colours won't be very 'thick' (saturated) on the clear sheets. White (yellow & other light colours) are best printed on the white sheets, OR you can paint small areas of your shell white where the sticker is going to go, if you intend to use the clear sheets (This can be tedious if the graphics are complex).
I usually use matte or semi-matte, photo quality sheets (Gloss looks wrong to me) & the manufacturer's usually recommend a light dusting of laquer over the printed decal to seal the ink in if it's gonna be outside (Sticky sheet is waterproof, printer ink isn't).
'Waterslide' type decal sheets are becoming more widely available nowadays, & thickness-wise, they're much thinner than any sticky vinyl. They need to be laquered over to protect them from harsh handling though. The mural on my 'special F2' van is a waterslide, if you wanted to see an example.
Finally, to avoid any potential copyright issues, remove any manufacturer's names (Or change them) & if you can, slightly change the appearance of them. Don't try to sell copies of ANYTHING without first asking the copyright owner's permission, selling is a good way of advertising that you're doing it & is just asking for trouble!

Re: Printing own decals 12 years 2 months ago #7362

I have a local screen printer/sign shop guy who has always done all of my decals.
Both for my real world racing karts, cars, jetskiis, bikes, ect. And my R/C car's.

He has on file some tobacco logos from old ones he's done for me IE; MARLBORO and CAMEL.
I have both a MARLBORO sponsored and SMOKING JOES CAMEL racing jetsiis from back in the days here in the USA.
Both were in bad shape and needed new decals and paint.
So I have them on file. And the 'CAMEL' walking decal too.
One of these days, I'm going to have him run me off some[CAMEL] for my Benetton B192 Tamiya F1 1/10th car.
He has mentioned he could do several tobacco logos on one page for like $25-30ishusd for some in 1/10th scale.

NOW for the BAD news...in the past he has done some el cheapo re-pops of Tamiya decals.
Until his WIFE got greedy and wants no more 'hook a brother up' deals any more for me on decals set-up prices. :angry: :angry:
Any very detailed decals...the set-up fee's for say;
the ROTHMANS oval badge-emblem would run like $100! OUCH! :woohoo:
Because he has to touch them up by hand, unless you dont mind kind of fuzzy small details.

Years ago, I had him do me some SENNA tiny 1/10th decals from the side of his MP4/6 type of F1 cars since they were missing from decals sheets. I just brought him some magazine pics of SENNA and pics of the decal so he could scan them.
My guy even did the cool BRAZIL flag in detail! And these are very tiny!
I could have him do up some for a price if anyone needed them. he should still have the scans in my file.
But now, no way...his set-up fees would kill the whole idea.

I had him scan the 956 Tamiya decal sheet a while ago just to see if it was worth doing.
Like the ROTHMANS block lettering, I guess he might do them cheap?
BUT if your wanting say a complete original Tamiya SUPER CHAMP decal sheet.... :lol: :silly: :lol: :silly: :lol: :silly:
I guess your going to have to pay the crazy ebay prices! SORRY!

In my past of trying to do printer scans, they did not work out at all.

The whole copyright thing is a bit of a joke.
Here in the USA, YOU the sue'er has to go to the county and state of the civil claim committed. Then file to sue whoever.
That means if someone here sends you some junk[Joe anyone]...you have to file a claim here in ''my[joes] town''....and in ''my[joes] state''.
EXAMPLE; how much is a plane ticket from AUZ to the USA.... :whistle:
BUT Tamiya just goes to say ebay and gets their threats done there. Huge companies can sue each other or make them comply.
But one person to another...hahahahahaahahaha
one phrase;
GOOD LUCK!
How do you think COMMIE RED CHINA gets away with doing all kinds of copies??
TWO DOLLAR ROLEX in MEXICO ring a bell? :laugh:
Just a thought.... :huh:

Last edit: by robracer.

Re: Printing own decals 12 years 2 months ago #7405

Hello everybody.

I`m very close to finish a vintage car.
Does anybody know how I can print decals on my own?

Regards,
Rainer

What car? Is it lexan or hard plastic? If it lexan you can print them your self and appyly them inside the body useing clear double sided tape.

Re: Printing own decals 12 years 2 months ago #7444

Do you mean print on white paper & use clear double-sided tape to stick them inside the lexan shell before painting? Interesting idea.... Have you tried it & if so, what are they like for clarity & air bubbles? Would the paper need some sort of backing/masking to stop any paint leaching through?

Re: Printing own decals 12 years 2 months ago #7457

You get the idea,I run a lot of F1 cars is colors that nobody makes decals for. SO I have to make my own decals and do it this way.
As far as Clarity its not as clear as normal decals,but from a few feet away it not bad.You have to be selective in what tape you use but I get it at the dollar store so I can get a few and see what one looks best.
You can use normal paper but if you use normal paper you have to mask off the area,spray the body then insert the home made decal in the blank space that was masked off for it.
As far a the data for the decals you can get if from many places,but you need either Photo shop,you can use micro soft paint but its a lot harder to work with and the results are not nearly as nice.
These two pictures are both done useing photoshop.

The 956 was made scaning a Tamiya decals sheet.

The P34 was made from using a 1/24th scale decal sheet.

Half of these F1 cars were done this way also.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Rakuda.

Re: Printing own decals 12 years 2 months ago #7510

Works well! I'll have to try it sometime as it's gotta work out cheaper than proper decal paper

Re: Printing own decals 12 years 2 months ago #7516

Awesome F1 collection. :woohoo:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.