Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Speed Controller Help 11 years 10 months ago #10125

Just been given a Subaru Brat chassis by one of my neighbours for free as he saw me running my car in the road and he had it in his garage! I have been cleaning it up a little and have taken the steering servo out and the receiver to tidy the wiring a little and found this esc fitted and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it? it is Mtroniks and it looks waterproof but not sure what the tourer 35 means is this the motor limit? If so is it safe to use on a Tamiya motor?

Thanks

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Speed Controller Help 11 years 10 months ago #10126

I think the "35" is more likely to be the maximum current it can handle, which makes me think it's a marine ESC ... which is ok, but it probably won't have any brakes :pinch:

Nice score on the Brat chassis BTW :y:

Re: Speed Controller Help 11 years 10 months ago #10127

Cool neighbour! :)

It seems logical that this is a predecessor of the Eco Marine 20... although I'm not quite sure myself.
The "Tourer" makes me think it's for on road somehow.
You could contact the guys at Mtroniks if they can give you any conclusive info.

www.mtroniks.ne...act-us.htm

Re: Speed Controller Help 11 years 10 months ago #10129

Emailed the question ill await their response cheers Edou :)

This looks fully sealed and waterproof so im thinking marine application. The only problem is i dont have any boats needing one :laugh: anyone fancy swapping it for a standard controller? ;) :whistle:

Forgive my ignorance but does the standard teu101 or 104 have a brake facility JR??

Regards

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Speed Controller Help 11 years 10 months ago #10131

Emailed the question ill await their response cheers Edou :)

This looks fully sealed and waterproof so im thinking marine application. The only problem is i dont have any boats needing one :laugh: anyone fancy swapping it for a standard controller? ;) :whistle:

Forgive my ignorance but does the standard teu101 or 104 have a brake facility JR??

Regards

If it is a marine one I may consider a swap -I'll have to look to see what I've got spare :) All Mtroniks ESC are completely sealed, BTW.

Tamiya ESCs definitely have brakes, although some say they are rubbish - move the throttle stick back while going forward & they slow the wheels down, move the stick to neutral & back down again & you get reverse.

On an Mtroniks (& every other brand TBH) car ESCs, move the stick down while going forwards & you get a stronger braking effect, hold it too long (like going full speed & braking for a hairpin) & the motor goes into reverse, which on a 4WD car brings you to a dead stop at best, a RWD car will probably spin. Cadence braking (repeatedly hitting the brakes rather than holding them down) is the answer ...

Marine ESCs don't have braking, they just go into reverse, so drive them as if they do have brakes & they'll suck an enormous amount of current, possibly melting something - and I don't just mean the ESC- batteries & connectors, wiring, the motor ...

Re: Speed Controller Help 11 years 10 months ago #10136

That's some interesting words on marine ESCs - I'd always thought "Brakes" on a reversible ESC were just a useful symptom of the FET protection circuitry - FETs really don't like being connected with reverse polarity or back-EMF spikes, which is essentially what you get when you try to poke power into a spinning generator generating the opposite polarity.
Kinda makes sense if you think about it though - a boat prop won't freewheel like a car motor, so it won't be generating anything, so it won't be a problem, so you wouldn't need the FET protection..... unless you were thinking of putting it in a car.....
I'm not a fan of the "Pull back for brakes, back to neutral, pull back again for reverse" thing, or "brakes-delay-reverse" - I like evasive action to be instant! I do like the smoothness of the forward action of the TEU101, but yeah the brakes are wet & the double de-clutch reverse is a nuisance!
Also not a fan of MTronics ESCs - their stated ratings of the SMD FETs they use are usually "Absolute maximum when used with a huge heatsink, just prior to destruction" rating of the components if you cross-reference the component number with its datasheet. Common sense really, I mean, do you really expect something smaller than half a Tic-Tac to be happy having 20+ amps pumped through it? I've repaired SMPS welders in the past & I'll tell you the 50 amp (working) rated MOSFETs they use are about the size of an entire MTronics ESC! Nope, seen too many fried ones to trust them...

Re: Speed Controller Help 11 years 10 months ago #10137

Just to complete the rant, let it be known that 1/30 scale Kysosho Mini-Z monsters use an ESC with similar SMD FETs to control their tiny motors, & the people who race them recommend stacking extra FETs if you plan to use the tuned motors with them, or they self-destruct

Re: Speed Controller Help 11 years 10 months ago #10144

Ok just heard back from Mtroniks apparently this is a car controller and i have been advised not to use it with a Tamiya silver can as they have stated the 35 is actually the motor limit? Does anyone know of any car that actually runs a 35 turn motor I have no idea what this would be used with. looks like one for the recycle bin.

Re: Speed Controller Help 11 years 10 months ago #10145

Ok just heard back from Mtroniks apparently this is a car controller and i have been advised not to use it with a Tamiya silver can as they have stated the 35 is actually the motor limit? Does anyone know of any car that actually runs a 35 turn motor I have no idea what this would be used with. looks like one for the recycle bin.

I wouldn't bin it - if your tastes ever run in that direction you could use it in a scaler - HPI make a quite good 35T motor (see here ), and any 45T or 55T (& up) motor will be no problem... actually that HPI motor would be quite a good match to the Brat chassis, if you get a hard body for it :)

Re: Speed Controller Help 11 years 10 months ago #10146

wouldnt the 35 turn hpi motor be very slow by comparison to a 27 turn?

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.