Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Striker Build Log 11 years 4 months ago #16511

As I noted in my intro thread I recently came back into posession of 2 cars from when I was a kid. A Hotshot II and a Striker.

I have decided to clean them up and rebuild them. I am starting with the Striker. This was my first hobby grade RC, so it was a big deal for me as a kid (Maybe 15-16 years old).

Here is how it sits now:
[img]http://www.inthecase.com/pics/striker start pic.jpg[/img]

I have ordered the missing uprights for the front so I can get the wheels on it.

As far as I can tell I am going to need all new electrics (planning a modern brushed motor and a modern esc with an SR200 Reciever). Other than that I am just going to strip it down, repaint it, rebuild it, and get it into running shape.

I am pondering trying to find some oil filled shocks for the front to see if it helps the handling at all. The wheels are in good shape, but it looks like I will need new tires as these are a bit dried out. Unless I can find some way to restore them.

Anyway, I will keep a log of how things go here just for fun.

My first purchase was a TAMIYA 50395 RD FRONT UPRIGHT SET from ebay for $9. I will try to keep everything here and see how it goes. If anyone has any insight it would be good for me. I have not laid hands on this car in at least 15 years, maybe 20, so I am kind of starting from scratch.

I also have a few associated cars: RC10GT2, RC10T4, and an RC10L3O that I have redone already.

The RC10L3O was my first semi-old restore project and it came out decent. I am going to be a little more serious about the Striker, but probably not go overboard.
picasaweb.googl...directlink
There is a link to my L3O as it currently sits. It was originally an oval car with nascar body.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Phandalyon.

Re: Striker Build Log 11 years 4 months ago #16514

Hey and Welcome :) I'll be looking forward to a not so standard striker build :y: there are about 3 recent box art builds on here you could check out including my own :whistle:
Cheers Andy :laugh:

www.tamiyabase....resto.html by BramMeijer

www.tamiyabase....riker.html by Jonny Retro

www.tamiyabase....build.html by andyaus
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Re: Striker Build Log 11 years 4 months ago #16519

Hey and Welcome :) I'll be looking forward to a not so standard striker build :y: there are about 3 recent box art builds on here you could check out including my own :whistle:
Cheers Andy :laugh:

www.tamiyabase....resto.html by BramMeijer

www.tamiyabase....riker.html by Jonny Retro

www.tamiyabase....build.html by andyaus

Mine is still more of a "dismantle" than a "rebuild" :blush:

Re: Striker Build Log 11 years 4 months ago #16521

HI!... Add another one to the list. My NIB Striker will be here next week! :lol:

Re: Striker Build Log 11 years 4 months ago #16748

Good to see some other Strikers out there.

I got some modern electronics put into it today for a test run after ignoring it over Christmas. Ran much better than expected. The tires are a bit dry, but other than that it was surprisingly smooth.

Here is a vid of the run:

And a pic of how it sits right now:

My friend also tossed the old Trinity Motor onto his break-in charger and it still runs, so I have options on what to do with the motor. It is an old Trinity Monster Horsepower (1987 champs) motor. 27T is the consensus on it.

I may try to use it or I may go with something different.

Anyway, now the teardown begins. I am thinking about painting it either Red or Blue. No decision yet.

Striker Build Log 11 years 4 months ago #16750

The best way to fix the front end handling is the CRP Futaba FX-10 upgrade.

Re: Striker Build Log 11 years 4 months ago #16751

I assume you are talking about this?

images.marketpl..._bk_wm.jpg

Intriguing.

It looks like it will mount more standard shocks. I will have to research this and what shocks to use with it.

Re: Striker Build Log 11 years 4 months ago #16752

or these

www.ebay.com.au...1c2c88196c

www.ebay.com.au...5d34ea2255

you could then upgrade to a nice set of front and rear alloy shockers :laugh:

Red for me as a new colour, with white rims :y:

Cheers andy....
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Last edit: by AndyAus.

Re: Striker Build Log 11 years 4 months ago #16753

Those are from the Sonic Fighter, yes?

I have heard that the Sonic Fighter front shocks are terrible too, even though they are oil-filled. Any reccomendations on front shocks to go with these?

Re: Striker Build Log 11 years 4 months ago #16754

The cleaning has started. Turns out I have a complete spare set of diff gears too. So that is a good thing.

edit: Oh, I also found my original Striker rear shocks. They are on the front of my Hotshot II.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.