Keyword

TOPIC:

58073 Thunder Dragon 11 years 9 months ago #11221

Just bought this on eBay ... and yes I appreciate the irony of having been dismissive of Manga themed "plastic whizzy buggies" :whistle:

The body looks a little crumpled on the right rear, and the driver's head is missing, but it looks fairly sound from the photos :)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: 58073 Thunder Dragon 11 years 9 months ago #11223

Nice buy :y: reinforced A5 part is a must have for it though :silly: . If you need any bits let me know i have an almost complete Thundershot in bits in a box doing nothing both gear cases are new and i think they are ballraced too.

Re: 58073 Thunder Dragon 11 years 9 months ago #11233

Nice buy :y: reinforced A5 part is a must have for it though :silly: . If you need any bits let me know i have an almost complete Thundershot in bits in a box doing nothing both gear cases are new and i think they are ballraced too.

Ta :) :y:

I didn't pay a whole lot for it, so I'm expecting it to be hiding something ...

Re: 58073 Thunder Dragon 11 years 9 months ago #11235

Great buy if you ask me :) Only needs a new head then and maybe some new tires!
Most of the TD who get sold on ebay are thrashed...
Nice one JR !

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Re: 58073 Thunder Dragon 11 years 9 months ago #11237

No problem JR you have helped me out often enough with parts. Im looking at the gearboxes off this Thundershot and they look very familiar anbody know what models they where used on? what would they fit?

Re: 58073 Thunder Dragon 11 years 9 months ago #11239

This is what TB lists as cars that share that chassis :

58067 Thundershot
58073 Thunder Dragon
58075 Terra Scorcher
58078 Fire Dragon

:y:

Re: 58073 Thunder Dragon 11 years 9 months ago #11340

It arrived this morning - on first inspection it doesn't look too bad, and seems to be pretty complete ... but there's no oil in the shocks & the body is worse than I'd hoped.

It really stinks of dogs though - I'm not sure if the previous owner had pooches, or has just driven it through something nasty :sick: ... either way it's going to need cleaning before dismantling ...

Re: 58073 Thunder Dragon 11 years 9 months ago #11370

I stripped the thing straight into a sink full of water with biological washing detergent and my ultrasonic tank (water & washing up liquid) ... most of the stink seemed to be coming from the tyres...

Underside is not too bad, bumper is pretty carved up though:

Chassis tub is broken on the top right front gearbox mount & "repaired" with hot melt glue - naughty: it was very fresh & I can't believe the former owner didn't know about it - I think that should have got a mention in the eBay listing :whistle:

The tyres are very worn, probably beyond any usefullness, so this split is probably irrelevant:

... as is the dodgy paint - it was falling off after soaking for a while ...

... and scrubbed off very easily:

Re: 58073 Thunder Dragon 11 years 9 months ago #11371

Body is pretty crumpled & split around the rear body mounts ...

... and has some pretty ugly repairs on the inside:

The bits I put in the tank were pretty minging, I had to put in three changes of water & kept re-running the longest program to get the bits clean enough to scrub ...

Lots of sand left in the sink ... most of it I think came from inside the tyres :whistle:

I'll have to think about what to do with this ....

Re: 58073 Thunder Dragon 11 years 9 months ago #11372

You've had some nice cars jonny, why go buy a dog toy? Apologies for the lack of enthusiasm, but having owned a Thundershot for a brief time, my opinion is that they're truly horrible fragile cars. As Tamiyanut said, check the A5 part, or better still, replace it without even looking at it. Check all the gearbox/suspension mounts too as they can split just by an ape putting the screws in, let alone using the car in an aggressive fashion.
Oh, & throw the Annsmann motor away before it sets fire to something - I had 2 recently in a job-lot of stuff, a 23T & a 21T, both were proper Black & Decker'd - shorted windings where the wire enamel had given up & fallen off from vibration or heat build-up (They weren't old either, looked new outside). They ain't that quick either, so not worth the risk in my book

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.