Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Toyota Tom's (runner) 11 years 2 months ago #17830

HI!.... Well I picked up another Toyota Tom's. This will be my 3rd one. I have a original and a Wacoal version. This one has the Wacoal decals on the Tom's body but that's it. So basically a regular Toyota Tom's with a Wacoal decals. This was is going to be a runner. This one's going to go brushless. I have a 8.5T 4000KV brushless motor and 60amp ESC. Going to run a 7.4 volt LiPo in it and see what she'll do. lol! I need to get some new wheels/tires and clean her up a bit.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Toyota Tom's (runner) 11 years 2 months ago #18082

HI!... O.k so I got the Toyota Tom's runner ready to go. Got a HobbyWing 8.5T, 4000KV BL motor in it. My Flightmax 5800mAh, 30C 7.4 volt LiPo's fit in it perfectly. Looking currently into getting a 11.1 LiPo that will fit. Gearing is stock with a 18 tooth pinion. ESC is a HobbyWing 60amp with cooling fan. Receiver is a HobbyKing HK-GT2R. Steering servo is a Futaba S3003. Everything on this thing is original except the new hex head screws. I C/A glued on a piece of rigid sponge foam onto the front bumper to give it a bit of protection in case a smoke a curb or something. Wheels and foam tires are new but identical to the originals. I just wish I could go drive it!!!! There's so much snow here I can't do anything with it but drive it in my 45FT X 25FT garage.It seems like it's going to be really fast. I just have to fab up some aluminum rear body mounts and it's basically done.

Tamiya Toyota Tom's (runner) 11 years 2 months ago #18112

:laugh:
Dragster!!!!
I love the RM01. Be carefull with the motor stay.

Tamiya Toyota Tom's (runner) 11 years 2 months ago #18119

:laugh:
Dragster!!!!
I love the RM01. Be careful with the motor stay.

HI!... You mean RM5/6? This is not the new Toyota Tom's. This is the original from 1985.

Tamiya Toyota Tom's (runner) 11 years 1 month ago #20000

HI!... Well the snow finally disappeared around here so I could actually take the Toyota Tom's "RUNNER" out for it's virgin bashing. Things a lot faster than I thought it would be on just a single 7.4 volt 30C LIPO. Probably around 35-40MPH. I'd like to see if I can find some rubber street tires for it since 90% of the time I will be running it in the asphalt. I took the beater body that I got with it and painted it up a bit and threw some decals on it I had laying around. Good enough for a runner. Hope to get some vids up soon once the weather gets warmer. I'll post pics later of the painted up body.

Tamiya Toyota Tom's (runner) 11 years 1 month ago #20009

Yeah, I'd have expected a 8.5T brushless on 2S Lipo to be a total slug :whistle: ;)

Tamiya Toyota Tom's (runner) 11 years 1 month ago #20015

Yeah, I'd have expected a 8.5T brushless on 2S Lipo to be a total slug :whistle: ;)

HI!... SSSHHHHHHHHH! It's all original.......... :whistle: :lol:

I can't wait to see what it does on 3s. lol!

Last edit: by THE H.P FREAK.

Tamiya Toyota Tom's (runner) 11 years 1 month ago #20029

:laugh: My RM01 is the newman original to. And my motor stay has been cuted in 2 parts. only with vintage motors.

Tamiya Toyota Tom's (runner) 11 years 1 month ago #20044

HI!... Well here's the pics of the prettied up runner body of my Toyota Tom's.

Tamiya Toyota Tom's (runner) 11 years 1 month ago #20046

HI!... O.k I've been researching the Toyota Tom's a bit and found out that the spur gears for this thing are extremely hard to come by and wear out quickly especially when running one of these on BL. So I started think. Ya I know dangerous.... :evil: Well I think I came up with something that will help us guys. On my E-Revo's the slipper clutches are junk, especially when your running them with a MMM set-up. Too much power. So some guys came up with a slipper clutch eliminator. Best mod I ever did to my E-Revo's. :woohoo:

So I took the adapter off of one of my E-Revo's and trial fitted it to the Tom's. Well it looks good. I just have to get some machined up (dam I wish I had a lathe)but with longer shafts on both sides to take up the slack the bushings are doing in the pics below. Oh and add a grub screw or two to keep it secure.

Once I get some made up I can get some steel gear made up from Robinson Racing and never have to worry about wearing hard to get gears out again. :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.