Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Hotshot HP Suspension Upgrade. 8 months 2 weeks ago #76014

Hi

I am fitting Tamiya HP Suspension to my Tamiya Hotshot.
Does anyone have the original fitting instruction manual they can upload?
I am having an issue where the round heat sinks are getting in the way of the carbon Y piece. Do they need to be moved? Or could some upload a photo of their build on how they got around this issue. It must be a simple fix or something I am doing.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Hotshot HP Suspension Upgrade. 8 months 2 weeks ago #76015

I hope this helps, I found it on another site:

"The nice thing about the Hot Shot series is its all plug and play/ Lego approach. The suspension was adapted over the life of the chassis while the drive train stayed the same.The H.P. suspension option is basically Supershot/Super Hot Shot parts. You'll need 2 CVA "long" shocks for the rear and 2 "short" CVAs for the front. The stock Hot Shot suspension arms can all be kept. You'll need BB27 and BB28 front damper stays (left and right front shock towers), and BB17/BB18 front under stays (lower front shock mounts) to mount up the front shocks. At the rear, you'll need BD10 rear damper stay and BD11 stay mount (rear shock tower assembly) as well as 2 BB25 rear under stays (rear lower shock mounts) to mount up the rear shocks. Screw bag B would be helpful as it includes some useful hardware and (according to the manual) has the BB27/BB28/BB25s/BB17/BB18 in it as well. All these parts can be seen assembled and in diagram form in the Tamiya Super Hot Shot manual available for free download on the Tamiya USA website.The other option for the front (which yields a bit more suspension travel) is to use the Big Wig setup. The Bigwig mounts the shocks (CVA "short" again) ahead of the front arms which requires replacement of the front arms. You'll need BigWig "F-parts" tree to get the front arms and the "C-parts" tree to get the front shock towers. At the rear, you're kinda stuck with the Super Hot Shot setup. You could technically mimic the Hot Shot 2 setup, but only the rear arms are currently produced (through the Big Wig and Boomerang). The actual rear Hot Shot 2 shock tower is discontinued."

You can download the Supershot manual from here.
IG_tamiyaddiction

Last edit: by GToddC5.

Tamiya Hotshot HP Suspension Upgrade. 8 months 2 weeks ago #76016

Thank you for reply.

I have all the parts to do the conversion. The only problem I have is the round heat sinks have to be moved because they get in the way of carbon Y piece.

Kind Regards

Tamiya Hotshot HP Suspension Upgrade. 8 months 2 weeks ago #76018

Did you download and look at the Supershot manual, as suggested in that paragraph?
You can see they used different resistors/heat sinks:

IG_tamiyaddiction
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by GToddC5.

Tamiya Hotshot HP Suspension Upgrade. 8 months 2 weeks ago #76019

Did you download and look at the Supershot manual, as suggested in that paragraph?
You can see they used different resistors/heat sinks:

Tamiya Hotshot HP Suspension Upgrade. 8 months 2 weeks ago #76022

Yes, I have looked at that page. However, I have the round heat sinks which came on the Hotshot. With the HP suspension set you did not have to use then SuperShot rectangle heat sink. You just kept your original round heat sinks. If someone has the instruction manual for the HP suspension it may show how to get around this. 
kind Regards 

Tamiya Hotshot HP Suspension Upgrade. 8 months 2 weeks ago #76023

Wow, it's so difficult finding any good info on this! I know this is a crude rendering on the box, but it looks like it might just sit in front of the new shocks?

IG_tamiyaddiction
Attachments:

Tamiya Hotshot HP Suspension Upgrade. 8 months 2 weeks ago #76024

Thanks for help. Maybe it had to be moved from the original mounting point. Just can't work out where to fix it. Hopefully someone will come along with the instruction manual or a close up photo to clarify.

Kind Regards

Tamiya Hotshot HP Suspension Upgrade. 8 months 5 days ago #76191

I worked out a way around this issue. I used Hotshot C parts 1 & 3 tree 19005164. The mounting hole on the original 1980s Hotshot cage appeared to have had two holes or it was further along. Attached are some photos of how I mounted the heat sink. Hopefully this will help others if they wish to do the same. 

Kind Regards
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Ducksnuts

Tamiya Hotshot HP Suspension Upgrade. 8 months 4 days ago #76202

Nicely done, I have only seen this once in an RC mag decades ago....

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.