Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rough Rider blue alternative box-art colors 9 years 7 months ago #31212

I'm working on an old Rough Rider body, and have decided to go for the alternative blue box-art scheme. I don't seem to find any clear reference to the actual TS colours to use, and it's not specified in the manual, either.

Firstly, some of the blue alternatives:
TS-10 French Blue
TS-15 Blue
TS-23 Light Blue

Actually, I'm tempted to use a 1973 VW colour I got mixed for one of my Scorcher bodys (L96B Alaska Metallic). But I'll better save that for the Scorcher, as intended.

Then the whites:
TS-7 Racing White
TS-26 Pure White
TS-27 Matt White

Does anyone know what the actual blue box-art colours would be?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Rough Rider blue alternative box-art colors 9 years 7 months ago #31213

In my mind, there is no right or wrong as long as the manual don't tell the colours.

For the blue/white one, I would go with French Blue and Pure White.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Rough Rider blue alternative box-art colors 9 years 7 months ago #31214

Tamiya 101 list it as TS-10 French Blue & TS-26 Pure White, but don't cite their source. I don't think I've ever seen anything I'd really disagree with too much in their paint codes, but they do seem to list what's in the manual and modern equivalents and/or best guesses without differentiating between the two.

I won't use a white that bright on a RC or model car any more if I can help it, an off white looks much better; and although the French Blue makes sense as it's the colour specified for the Sand Scorcher, I think it looks better a bit darker. So there's an argument for TS-7 Racing White and TS-15 Blue. I don't know when the Racing White was introduced, unless there was an equivalent way back then (I wouldn't necessarily go by the low # at all) it may not be "correct".

I also like to use metallic paints as they are a little bit more interesting, I used VW Alpine White & VW Jazz Blue (obviously not Tamiya colours) on a Scorcher & no-one suggested burning me at the stake ;)

TS-23 Light Blue just looks wrong to me.

I like the Porker Alaska Blue, very much like a metallic French Blue :y:

If you want an _opinion_, I think Racing White and French Blue are the best balance between period correct & what's right for the car.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Rough Rider blue alternative box-art colors 9 years 7 months ago #31217

Thanks for your inputs Lars and JR. :y:

Rough Rider blue alternative box-art colors 9 years 7 months ago #31293

I haven't been active here in a while due to our newborn, but I recently finished a new build vintage RR in french blue and pure was a la my avatar..... so if youd like some pics to see if you like the shades I'll gladly post them for you .

Rough Rider blue alternative box-art colors 9 years 7 months ago #31294

so if youd like some pics to see if you like the shades I'll gladly post them for you .

Thanks, that would be great!

Rough Rider blue alternative box-art colors 9 years 7 months ago #31299

so if youd like some pics to see if you like the shades I'll gladly post them for you .

Thanks, that would be great!

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok, Jonny Retro

Rough Rider blue alternative box-art colors 9 years 7 months ago #31300

Looks good :y:

Rough Rider blue alternative box-art colors 9 years 7 months ago #31303

Yes, it really looks nice. Thank you for the inspiration :y:

Rough Rider blue alternative box-art colors 9 years 7 months ago #31305

Thanks guys... I think this combo is great as well... I wet sanded it after it was done to give the paint more of a glossy appearance. I have another body that I had acquired that I think I'll do a bit differently but in my opinion this color scheme is the one to go with if you only have one RR in your collection.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.