Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boxart painted SS Body ? 9 years 4 months ago #32287

Hi

I have an rere SS kit, have tried to paint the body, but no I could not make the paint job any good.

Are there anyone out there selling box art painted rere bodies for SS ?

Or are there any that could paint it for me ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Boxart painted SS Body ? 9 years 4 months ago #32291

HI!... Are you talking about the SuperShot? You have to be more specific.

Boxart painted SS Body ? 9 years 4 months ago #32295

"SS" is one of those things that can only mean one thing IMO & really can't be used for anything else, ever ... If you don't see that, maybe you should watch the occasional history documentary, just saying. Maybe Kampen om tungtvannet would be a place to start, heck, even "The Heroes of Telemark" :whistle:

:)

Given the Super Shot is a single colour, I think we're talking about the Sand Scorcher here?

If so, I've got every sympathy - it's probably the most difficult Tamiya"box art" paintjob to do.

What went wrong on your car? If you just write it off you're not going to learn anything, maybe it can be saved, or at least show you what not to do on the next one. Masking is difficult on the Scorcher & often doesn't give a perfect edge - see tamiyabase.com/...ining.html for example.

Tamiya did release a pre-painted body (part # 318088041) but you're a bit late, if you can find one now it will be expensive.

You might be able to find a set of precut panels (like ebay # 251739647345, but I've bought from that seller in the past & wouldn't again - total garbage).

Finding someone to do a boxart paintjob could be difficult, anyone competent is going to want go get paid for it, I'd estimate 12 hours work, at minimum wage here + the body + materials that'd be at least 180 GBP but the people that have asked me to do this kind of work in the past usually express incredulity that I would not give them the body below cost, not work for free, pass on the cost of shipping, and want to get reimbursed for more than one small can of paint. I don't give quotes any more, and mostly don't even reply to those asking if I'll do work for them. I know you didn't specifically ask me, I'm just saying (again) if you do find someone willing to paint a body for you, please have some understanding of the costs & processes involved.

:)

Boxart painted SS Body ? 9 years 4 months ago #32342

Thanks for answers, tought that everybody was well known with the Sand Scorcher named as SS
Anyway, my attempt to paint the body did not go well as I did paint the blue color at first, then the white..... but the wite does not cover good over the blue.......... you can se blue color behind the white :(
Have been sanding the body again, but are almost on giving it up.

Have seen painted bodies for sale on ebay a couple of years ago, was not so highly expensive either, but I can't find them anymore.

Boxart painted SS Body ? 9 years 4 months ago #32345

:) You painted your ABS body like a lexan version. You can try to put 2 layers of white more.

Boxart painted SS Body ? 9 years 4 months ago #32346

Think I have done 3-4 layers of white..... but no good :(

Are using Tamiya paint like the manual for box art paint.

Boxart painted SS Body ? 9 years 4 months ago #32347

Why was not the stickers on ebay any good ?

Look genius for me that hate the paint job..........

Boxart painted SS Body ? 9 years 4 months ago #32353

Think I have done 3-4 layers of white..... but no good :(

Are using Tamiya paint like the manual for box art paint.

I used automotive spray paint for mine last month...

Boxart painted SS Body ? 9 years 4 months ago #32354

There is a guy that sells pre-cut paint masks somewhere. I might be thinking of those panels you mentioned, JR.

You probably need to strip the paint off the body then try again.
Next time, paint the white first, then the blue.

Boxart painted SS Body ? 9 years 4 months ago #32356

Yep and use recent sprays. I used old french blue and it made some small bubbles and orange skin.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.