Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone recommend a book or guide for newbies? 6 years 11 months ago #43919

• Ken B.
  • Ken B.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
I have a lot of questions and I'm sure my kids will have, too.

Anyone recommend a good book on RC cars? Something that answers things like transmission modifications, suspension changes, battery and motor types, etc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Anyone recommend a book or guide for newbies? 6 years 11 months ago #43923

I have a lot of questions and I'm sure my kids will have, too.

Anyone recommend a good book on RC cars? Something that answers things like transmission modifications, suspension changes, battery and motor types, etc.

The most recent one that I know of is the Haynes one ( here ), but that was 1st published in 2008 so is already out of date ... from memory it had lots of nice pictures and covered a lot of ground - but only in very superficial detail, for instance the section on painting bodies was spread over two/three pages but only covered spraying lexan bodies in a single colour... I don't remember it covering brushless motors or Lipo either, but I can't find mine ATM. It's a pleasant enough read of an evening, but I wouldn't expect to learn too much from it.

There are some older titles that are worth a look at too (all well OOP, but come up on eBay & the like):

- Model Car Racing by Radio Control (George Siposs, 1971)
- Buggy Racing Handbook (Bill Burkinshaw, 1986)
- The Buggy Book (Bill Burkinshaw, 1985)
- Manual of Electric Radio Control Cars (Bill Burkinshaw, 1983)
and to a lesser extent,
- 1/10 Scale Electric Radio Controlled Off-Road Cars (Deryck Green & Chris Green, 1990)

Another obvious one is the Tamiya Radio Control Guide Book, published in various editions over the years, but with mostly the same contents - older ones obviously have older cars & more nostalgia, but newer ones are cheaper.

:)

Anyone recommend a book or guide for newbies? 6 years 11 months ago #43927

Amazing! Haynes published a rc book??? :y:

Anyone recommend a book or guide for newbies? 6 years 11 months ago #43937

Hey there,
This might be good reading for you too. Has some good set up tips and other info. Mostly geared for someone who wants to go racing and the motor and battery stuff is a bit outdated I seem to recall. It is a link from Associated Electrics

www.teamassocia...bookV2.pdf

Just copy and paste if the link is not clickable. If nothing else the price is right.......:)
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Anyone recommend a book or guide for newbies? 6 years 10 months ago #44065

The R/C Handbook is SUPER! No pictures, OK, but covers just about all relevant to this hobby. Thanks Willy.

Jonny, awesome tips there, thanks! I'm looking for Bill's Buggy Racing Handbook, and I find several places to buy it. Just that I need some sort of preview or excerpt from it before I buy. Quite a few times I've bought a book without taking a peek, and then becoming disappointed (no, furious) when reading. So to spare myself any frustrations, in particular to spare Bill the wrath of uncletom, I really need to have a brief look at it before buying.

Anyone have this book? Is it good?

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.