This R/C car made a name for itself when it was originally released in 1990 for being popular as both a beginner-level off-road buggy and an easily upgradeable car for veteran radio control hobbyists. The body is inspired by the sleek curved shape of Manta Rays and is made from lightweight and durable polycarbonate. Downforce is provided by the large rear wing and traction is provided with all-terrain spike tires mounted on dish wheels to provide excellent handling on any surface.
All of the radio components such as battery and R/C mechanisms are mounted in the centre of the honeycomb bathtub frame for optimum balance. The cars bathtub chassis is mated with 4-wheel double wishbone suspension and equipped with CVA oil dampers for stable running in off-road conditions. 4WD drivetrain features front and rear sealed gearboxes with internal differential gear units for smooth cornering, and the gearbox itself features a quick-access hatch for convenient and hassle-free maintenance.
• Features a sturdy bathtub frame with honeycomb rib pattern on the inside for excellent rigidity.
• 4-wheel independent double wishbone suspension employs CVA oil dampers.
• Shaft-driven 4WD drivetrain employs diffs in sealed gearboxes, each with a quick-access maintenance hatch.
• 3-piece steering tie rod gives sharp response. Ball adjusters allow easy altering of toe angle.
• Aero dish wheels are paired with grippy stud spike tires.
• Polycarbonate body and wing.
• Original sticker designs included.
• Compatible with the following option parts: Item 47373 Manta Ray (2018) Hard Propeller Shaft & Aluminium Motor -Mount, plus Hop-Up Options 53070 Manta Ray Ball Diff. Set, 53791 DF-02 Assembly Universal Shaft and 53926 -DF-03 Aluminium Damper Set
• Includes Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC (electronic speed control) Capable of running sensor-based brushless motors and brushed motors alike. (21.5 Turn BL motor limit) (23 Turn brushed motor limit)
• Includes 540-type Motor.
This model was discontinued in July 2018
All parts according to Tamiya Guide books, Tamiya manuals and Tamiya parts listings.
58087 Manta Ray
23 Oct 1990
Click for more...