Keyword

TOPIC:

need help with Mad Fighter 9 years 1 week ago #34218

hey all, I am new to the site and I am looking for a bit of help. recently gotten back in to my Tamiya mad fighter (due to never being allowed to use it due to either weather or my brothers car always interfering with my car that's sorted now) and now looking to upgrade or change around the car to make it how I want it. unfortunately I have no idea what I can and can not change and need some help with what can be used on it. it is a box standard as it came in the box version with no custom parts on it yet. any help would be appriciated

Please Log in to join the conversation.

need help with Mad Fighter 9 years 1 week ago #34219

Welcome on board Wondermatty.
To upgrade your mad fighter, the first option is to mount ball bearings. After, oil shocks and you can use a bigger motor (maybe a brushless set).

Have a nice custom and fun times.
PS (put some picts ;) )

need help with Mad Fighter 9 years 1 week ago #34220

steel pinion, (module 0,8 - 17 or 19 teeth)
ball bearings,
oil shocks,
ESC incase you still have a MSC (QUICRUN 1060 is cheap, good and waterproof)
strengthen the front shocktower (brace between the top)

no need for brushless thats overkill for a DT01 and $$$ stick with a standard 540

nice replacement tires (the rear wears quickly on hard surface) Carson 'all terrain', but only the tires they also have a complete wheelset but those rims are :n:

Last edit: by waterbok.

need help with Mad Fighter 9 years 1 week ago #34221

to stingray: will put up some pics when I get back home :) on the ball bearing fronts got any recommendations, like I say I am new to this whole customising malarkey lol

waterbok: I have no idea what I am looking for, for biggest part of that unfortunately. all I know is that some things from the mad bull fit on the mad fighter. and I can never seem to find anything that helps me decide what to go for. not going for brushless as where I am using it if I put a brushless in I will end up ploughing in to a brick wall (like my bro's car, which supposedly the battery dies at a slow speed hit a wall and broke the steering pole in half so I think he hit it at a speed)

been to my fiancée's local RC shop and they have sold me some wheel with rims and pre glued for £25 just hoping they fit because like you have said and I have found out the tires that come as standard really just get eaten up by the floor. btw I am using it on a tarmacked surface so the front tires don't really grip because as I think you already know they are better for sand or dirt.

Last edit: by wondermatty. Reason: adding more to it

need help with Mad Fighter 9 years 1 week ago #34226

For bearings use RCBearings.co.uk - no question. There is a discount code under "Members">"Members Benefits" at the top of the page and a link to the site at the bottom of this page.

For running on tarmac, I've just bought a pair of these for my son's Fighter Buggy RX (same chassis as Mad Fighter)

Rears: www.modelsport....ucts/33227
They look good and the rubber is soft, so it should grip well (we'll see how long they last).
These are hex fitting front and rear. The Mad Fighter is 2WD. This means you will need bearing-type fronts like the Carson ones or those from a DT-02.

ESC and bearings are good upgrades. I have used the Quicrun ESC and it's very good

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

need help with Mad Fighter 9 years 1 week ago #34227

for the bearings would you say these are ok for it

bearings

the I did notice the seller is called rcbearings but just look on their size and a set of 10 bearings on their site was £65 and unfortunately I am unemployed atm so 65 is a lot, where as 6.25 is a lot more manageable, if they are ok I take it I go for the metal seal

need help with Mad Fighter 9 years 1 week ago #34228

for the bearings would you say these are ok for itI'll thesettp://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574973347&toolid=10001&campid=5337063502&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FTAMIYA-58275-Mad-Fighter-Bearing-Kit-COMPLETE-10-Bearings-/251719280524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3a9ba3678c]bearings[/url]

the I did notice the seller is called rcbearings but just look on their size and a set of 10 bearings on their site was £65 and unfortunately I am unemployed atm so 65 is a lot, where as 6.25 is a lot more manageable, if they are ok I take it I go for the metal seal

£65!!!! Where did you see that? RCbearings is very reasonable. Gimme a minute and ill have a look.

Edit. Ok that has to be a typo. Have a look here
www.rcbearings....duct_id=28
afaik MadBull bearings are the same. Plus you can get 20% off

Edit 2: Yes definitely a typo. That eBay listing is from RCBearings too, but it's usually cheaper in his own shop (cos he doesn't have to pay eBay fees). If you're not sure, drop him a message - he's very helpful.

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

need help with Mad Fighter 9 years 1 week ago #34229

Lol I thought they might have been the same shop but wasn't sure. Yep defo got to be a typo, when I get home looks like I have a lot to do. First thing will be to take a pic of my car as it is then let the customising commence

need help with Mad Fighter 9 years 1 week ago #34230

As a member at TB you also can get a discount at RCbearings

need help with Mad Fighter 9 years 1 week ago #34234

Welcome on board chap :)

re bearing seals - rubber seals seal better against mud etc but at the expense of drag, metal seals are more efficient but don't seal as well. If you're going to spend a lot of time in muddy puddles then I'd suggest rubber :)

I'd also suggest oil shocks, maybe someone can suggest what length they need to be because TBH the genuine Tamiya upgrades - "Mini" CVA shock set and a "Short" CVA shock set (part #'s 50519 & 50520 - are going
to poor value unless you need to upgrade 2 cars :whistle:

Most people are usually after more For more speed, if so I wouldn't suggest going any faster than the Tamiya "Sport Tuned" motor, that will give you about 25% more.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.