Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Removing white "dust" from tires? 9 years 11 months ago #29354

I have these tires for my AYK 566B that are in very good shape, and have never been run.

However, the tires have some sort of white "dust" all over, that can't be removed with water. When the tires dries up the "dust" comes back....

As these tires are "impossible" to get in this condition (in any condition, actually) I'm hesitant to apply anything to them that could destroy them.

Could I use the stuff used to clean automotive rubber, or are there any other stuff that's "safe" for this?

Tom
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Removing white "dust" from tires? 9 years 11 months ago #29355

I like waterbok's idea and it seems to work really well - peanut oil (soak 'em for a longer period). :y:
Can't predict if the white haze (rubber contaminents, I think) will disappear but it won't hurt either, like any chemical might...
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Removing white "dust" from tires? 9 years 11 months ago #29356

Not meaning to steal your thunder, wb. ;)
I'd probably go at it with a can of WD-40...

Last edit: by Edou.

Removing white "dust" from tires? 9 years 11 months ago #29358

Would something like this harm the tires???

Attachments:

Removing white "dust" from tires? 9 years 11 months ago #29359

I think it depends a lot on the ingredients (which I cannot find anything about).
Very old rubber may not agree with too much solvent. But apparently there are many varieties in composition :

www.autopia.org...-and-care/

Some harm is probably unavoidable to clean up the outer layer.

Removing white "dust" from tires? 9 years 11 months ago #29360

WD-40 contains 25% petroleum base oil, and petroleum products can ruin ordinary rubber (wikipedia). But then again I have no idea if these tires are "ordinary rubber"....

I think I'll take the chance and try some kind of automotive tire/rubber cleaner.

Tom

Removing white "dust" from tires? 9 years 11 months ago #29361

I used this stuff on some Meteor tyres (just cos I had some) and they came up a treat and stayed shiny (but not too shiny ;) ).

They needed a bit of a scrub too.
A lot of people here are very cautious about putting anything on vintage tyres, but I would have thought if this ate the rubber of full size car tyres, the manufacturers would have been sued by now. :whistle:
I'd rather use something that is designed for rubber than WD40 anyway.
AFAIK cheap Polish car washes use vegetable oil to make tyres shiny. Don't think it lasts long though.

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Removing white "dust" from tires? 9 years 11 months ago #29364

Yeah, I'll try something like that, Martin.

Removing white "dust" from tires? 9 years 11 months ago #29366

Being cautious with WD-40 is definitely a good thing, I am a lot less reluctant to use after I saw what it does to foam tyres though (return from the underworld). It definitely dissolves a small outer layer (with a very porous type of rubber) but I think at some point that active ingredient gets saturated. Really works wonders on this particular kind...

Last edit: by Edou.

Removing white "dust" from tires? 9 years 11 months ago #29369

I think that if I owned something that was impossible to replace, I wouldn't mess about with it, even if I was 100% sure whatever I needed to do wouldn't hurt it - there's always a chance of human error creeping in, no matter how "safe" a method is

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.