Keyword

TOPIC:

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #30793

I think you should write up your process for Lars to put on the front page :y:

:y: Thanks JR :) I'm still gathering all the information and testing on more variety of parts to see if there is much if any variation in the final results :huh:

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #30797

This is great work Andy!
The final result you came up with looks very similar to the finish I got on the load of SRB parts I got bead blasted some years ago.
I don't think you should worry about the surface degenerating, as mine have not. Except if the surface is too coarse, and dirt sticks to it. I have seen no oxidation.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #30815

HI!... I have been glass beading RC car parts for years now. I think I use my glass beading cabinet more now for RC parts then I do for the automotive parts it was bought for. lol. It also works great on plastic as well.

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #30816

HI!... I have been glass beading RC car parts for years now. I think I use my glass beading cabinet more now for RC parts then I do for the automotive parts it was bought for. lol. It also works great on plastic as well.

Hey what size glass beads @ what pressure do you use :huh:

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #30875

I struggled to find any clear information on what difference the size of the nozzle makes :whistle: ... I had thought using a smaller nozzle might have the effect of speeding up the media (same volume of air going through a smaller space = higher air velocity, therefore higher media velocity?) but apparently a bigger nozzle means you can blast a bigger area, but at the expense of using much more air - and therefore needing a beefier compressor. The reason why it took me a while to get my head round it was due to the first of those concepts being referred to as "productivity" - there's something else to add to my loathe list - using euphemisms where none are necessary :angry:

This is my experience so far - left hand casing has just had ultrasonic cleaning, right had has had that + walnut shell blasting (4/16 mesh (0.5mm particle size) @ 95ish psi, 5mm nozzle). Colour difference is not as marked as the photo suggests, but it is cleaner - the media has got to nooks & crannies better than the US tank & scrubbing. It's failed to do anything about the variations in colour caused by water/oil/grease/sealant/dirt etc. Overall - far to gentle to be useful for this application.

Next up - recycled glass grit (0.2mm-0.6mm, 6mm nozzle, 40 psi)

This setup was only just enough to take care of the colour differences - less psi wasn't cutting the mustard. It has resulted in the usual "problems" though: the "whitening" might not be quite as bad as I've seen, but the parts have definitely got that "fingernails down a blackboard" feeling about them, and look quite sparkly close up under good light. This is definitely an intermediate step, I couldn't/won't leave them like this.

Next step is (I guess) to spend 40+ GBP on a tub of glass beads, I don't believe the walnut would have the balls to peen the surface back again...

Attachments:

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #30884

JR I would be interested to know, after blasting with aluminium oxide what finish the Walnut shell media would yield?

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #30887

So tonight I continued stage 1 blasting of my alloy parts and started to notice it was taking longer and longer :huh: I checked the tip in my gun and found that the continued blasting had blown the hole out :evil: :pinch: So after speaking to my neighbour and looking online I made a steel one ;) It's now 40mm long ( 5mm longer than the original ) with 6mm hole and chamfered at the inlet end for increase flow :dry: Tested it out and it works a treat :P Then my cabinet light blew :pinch: :laugh:

to be continued .......

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #30890

And just found these :laugh: will pick some up instore tomorrow :y:

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #30892

HI!... I had a buddy machine me a tip out of carbide. 6 years now and it still looks new. :P
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Media blasting Alloy parts 9 years 7 months ago #30897

I used my new tip tonight and what a difference :woohoo: I believe it has halved the time to do each part :) Now all the parts I needed to do before changing the media over to glass are done :y: (I still picked up that 3 pack for future needs :whistle: )

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.