Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Porsche 934 RSR, 58001 front bumper 9 years 2 months ago #33839

Hi guys (and gals)

Can anyone help?

I'm trying to finish off an original Porsche 934 RSR restoration, but I'm short of the front chrome wire bumper with the brass support pieces

Does anyone have the spares, or are the more talented guys (and gals) able to fabricate one for me?

If not, are you able to guide me in the right direction?

Many Thanks,

Mike :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tamiya Porsche 934 RSR, 58001 front bumper 9 years 2 months ago #33845

Welcome on board chap, I hope you stick around :)

I've never owned one of those & I'm not likely to TBH, but I've had a look at the Porsche manual & there doesn't seem to be any real obstacle to making something functionally equivalent, other than having access to the tools/machinery/materials that is. If I was going to tackle this for myself I'd probably be looking for a couple of diameters of Aluminium bar to minimise the amount of turning required, tap the posts M3 & make a simpler bumper out of brass or steel rod. I'll be honest, even that's not something I'd want to take on for someone else, it's just too time consuming & fiddly on the gear I've got.

More accurate copies in brass would need a chunkier lathe (+ UNC 4/40 taps + a #43 drill) & someone with a reciprocating favour account _and_ the relevant car to provide dimensions & photos, the bumper I don't think could/should be attempted without an original to physically compare to while bending the new one.

For the chrome finish, I think I'd seriously look at DIY kits (possibly a nickel alloy plate setup) as although the price is offputting for one offs, I think it'd still be easier & cheaper than trying to get a commercial operation to do it for you in a realistic time frame.

I'll admit that's not practical/realistic for more cases, so I think it's going to be a case of trying to get a rough car as cheap as possible that has the bits you need - eBay is still going to be your best bet for that I'm afraid - you can set up searches & get the results emailed daily, but regular refreshes of the Toys & Games > Radio Controlled > Cars section may be your best bet, it's highly likely you'll find what you need under a listing ineptly titled something like "rado controled cars" (sic) by someone that's done no research.

Short version - it's one of those cars where you have to buy 2 or 3 bad ones to make 1 good one ... and/or be lucky.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.