Keyword

TOPIC:

Subscribed topics: emails only while logged in? 12 years 7 months ago #3028

I've long thought the automatic emails sent out when a topic is replied to (assuming you've posted in that topic & not unchecked the "Subscribe _ Check this box to be notified of replies to this topic" box) have been unreliable, but I think I've narrowed it down - the emails only seem to be generated while I'm logged in & have the site open in my browser (Firefox 3.6.23).

Any ideas as this kind of defeats the point of notifications IMO :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Subscribed topics: emails only while logged in? 12 years 7 months ago #3049

I don't think that is correct, but I will check.
The idea is that emails should be sent to any topic you have subscribed to. And the emails will/should be sent immediately, no matter if you are logged in or not.

Please note that you can go to your "Member Profile", choose the "Forum Entries" tab, and press the "Unsubscribe all" button. This will stop any emails from previously subscribed topics.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Subscribed topics: emails only while logged in? 12 years 7 months ago #3050

Oh, I got it! :unsure:

Your email service provider has temporarily blocked emails from the email server I am using. TamiyaBase.com emails are sent from a common server at my service provider, and I can only assume someone is also sending spam from the same server. :angry: This leads to some ISP are blocking this server, hopefully temporarily.

I will forward you one of the failure notice emails I keep getting from your email provider.

I have been checking the possibilities to get my own dedicated email server, but I have not reached a solution yet. I will post here with any progress.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Subscribed topics: emails only while logged in? 12 years 7 months ago #3051

Oh, I got it! :unsure:

Your email service provider has temporarily blocked emails from the email server I am using. TamiyaBase.com emails are sent from a common server at my service provider, and I can only assume someone is also sending spam from the same server. :angry: This leads to some ISP are blocking this server, hopefully temporarily.

I will forward you one of the failure notice emails I keep getting from your email provider.

I have been checking the possibilities to get my own dedicated email server, but I have not reached a solution yet. I will post here with any progress.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

-Lars

Curioser and curiouser ... I wonder if it's got more to with when I have my email app (Thunderbird) open - the last email I had from the site was at 2318 BST last night (I guess when I shut my PC down), nothing overnight (although there were new posts in topics I'm subscribed to), not until 0651 BST this morning, so far today I've had 14 emails, which I believe accounts for all the new posts in the threads I'm subscribed to.

I'll try leaving the PC on & email app open overnight, please let me know if the bounce messages stop or lessen.

I have Thunderbird set to check for emails every ten minutes, I'm wondering if my ISP is not automatically blocking emails from the site ISP, but rather periodically going through my inbox on their server deleting them ...

It's not so much of an inconvience - so no apology neccessary - I just wonder if it's happening to other members too, I remember a comment in my Cheetah thread along the lines of "must have missed a few posts".

:)

Re: Subscribed topics: emails only while logged in? 12 years 7 months ago #3071

Well, that was a bit inconclusive ... I got 4 emails between 2203 BST last night when I logged off & 0500 BST this morning when I logged back on again, which cover all the new posts in the threads I'm subscribed to - but such a quiet night doesn't prove an awful lot ......

Re: Subscribed topics: emails only while logged in? 12 years 7 months ago #3072

If you subscribed to this thread, the system should now send you a new e-mail...

Edit :

But that wasn't the issue. If you log off for a little while, I will post another reply here.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Subscribed topics: emails only while logged in? 12 years 7 months ago #3073

If you subscribed to this thread, the system should now send you a new e-mail...

Edit :

But that wasn't the issue. If you log off for a little while, I will post another reply here.

Yep just go it. Logging off now :)

Re: Subscribed topics: emails only while logged in? 12 years 7 months ago #3074

This post should send that e-mail then...

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Subscribed topics: emails only while logged in? 12 years 7 months ago #3084

Oh well - one more couldn't hurt. ;)

Re: Subscribed topics: emails only while logged in? 12 years 7 months ago #3087

Ok, just got out of the bath & have had 5 emails, which pretty much covers all the new posts while I was logged out, so I think that proves that being logged in or not is _not_ the issue ...

What I'll do next is shut my email app down for a couple of hours but stay logged in here, note any posts I should have had notifications about, restart my email & see if I actually got them ...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.