Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Variations of the same model in model info section 12 years 6 months ago #3675

Would it be possible to make a list of various technical changes within the same model in the "Model info" section of the database?

I'm talking about things like SRB mk1/mk2, Hotshot mk1/mk2 etc. This way we can make sure that finds like the differences in the Hotshot front uprights don't get "lost" in the forum as the threads get old. I know it's possible to search, but wouldn't it make sense to collect all this in one place?

Tom

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Variations of the same model in model info section 12 years 6 months ago #3676

Would it be possible to make a list of various technical changes within the same model in the "Model info" section of the database?

Hi Tom,
This is a good suggestion! I've had something similar in my mind earlier, but I have postponed it due to the quite large amount of work required to get it going.

But, with help from the community, using the forums, I am sure we can make good lists.
How about if we made a separate section in the Forums for "Model variations", and made sure there was only one topic for each model. (model number 58001 to 58100)

When we believe to have one model complete, I can add the info to the database for easier access in the future.

Let me know what you think.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Variations of the same model in model info section 12 years 6 months ago #3678

Sound idea :)

... SRB mk1/2? or do you mean vintage SRB vs re-re?

Other cars that come to mind are:
Monster Beetle (early white body vs later red one);
Clod Buster (early Chevy badged versions vs later blank ones vs Super Clod);
Midnight Pumkin (early Ford badged version vs later blank);
Wild Willy M38 (original "SWB" vs later LWB ... and Vs Wild Willy 2 - chassis completely different, body as original except front grille, front body mount position, windscreen panel & omission of hinges, front rollbar loop, decals & some body details ... so not very much the same at all :D )
Grasshopper & Hornet original vs re-re (same with exception of chassis no longer having cutout for hump pack + decals);
Frog / Brat original vs re-re (Frog decals de-sponsored, driveshafts, Brat gains diff + 540 motor + addtional lexan shell);
Holiday Buggy & Sand Rover original vs reboots (completely different chassis, de-sponsored decals, bodywork same with exceptions of suspensions cutouts & body mount holes on HB, body mount holes & huge cutout in rear deck);
Hotshot (mk1 / mk2 vs re-re);

... no doubt there are lots more, but my attention span has expired ;)

Re: Variations of the same model in model info section 12 years 6 months ago #3679

... SRB mk1/2? or do you mean vintage SRB vs re-re?

I'm thinking vintage vs. vintage, as we already have a DataBase section for comparison between vintage and reissue.
And you, Jonny, seem to have some commenting to do in that section :laugh:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Variations of the same model in model info section 12 years 6 months ago #3681

How about if we made a separate section in the Forums for "Model variations", and made sure there was only one topic for each model. (model number 58001 to 58100)

When we believe to have one model complete, I can add the info to the database for easier access in the future.

Great idea!
By doing the discussions in the forum we can provide/study pictures of the parts in question, before concluding the differences. Just like we did with the Hotshot uprights.

SRB mk1/2? or do you mean vintage SRB vs re-re?

I meant the early vintage vs. the later vintage, like Lars said. They are called mk1 and mk2 by the "community". I wouldn't rule out calling the rere SRB's mk3, or maybe mk4 if we count the Super Champ as mk3. I know many don't count the Super Champ as a SRB (I most certainly do), because it doesn't say SRB anywhere on the package. But many of the parts are so similar that they could cause confusion among people not aware of them. Regarding the rere's, they are genuine Tamiya products, with some changed/updated parts and (in my opinion) should have a "community" mk-marking, as they are real SRB's. It even says so on the box! ;-) But we do have the model numbers to keep those apart.....

If we are able to document these differences with pictures that clearly shows what has been changed, it would be a huge resource for people restoring vintage Tamiyas.

Tom

Last edit: by TommieG.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.