Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Schumacher Cougar Classic - Painting Box Art 1 year 5 months ago #73190

Fellow, RC enthusiasts,
I am building the rereleased Cougar Classic and was wondering about the paint job on the box art. It shows a black body with white/silver sprinkles on the black. Any ideas how to achieve this with Tamiya rattle spray cans? I am not (yet) into Airbrush....

Thanks guysMetalMaxx
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Schumacher Cougar Classic - Painting Box Art 1 year 5 months ago #73191

I'm not sure if that's a flake, or a deliberate splatter effect with an airbrush - from you pic it could be a flake, but from the some of the pics I've seen elsewhere, I think airbrush ... (www.modelsport....194-21.jpg)

IDK whether I could recommend trying to achieve that effect with aerosols, though TBH Tamiya PS - which are low pressure & high pigment - are the cans most likely to do it. The problem is, you won't know if it's working until you're nearly done, by which point it's to late to correct anything ... Test with takeaway tubs, lexan offcuts, 2L pop bottles etc first?

If I was going to try it, I'd mask the windows, silver and red bits, then lay down a very light coat of PS-12 Silver or PS-41 Silver from a much greater distance than normal - like 3ft instead of the normal 1'. ETA - and I can't stress this enough - and not be tempted to just add a puff or two to even it out, or because it doesn't look quite dense enough. 

Follow up with light coats of PS-5 Black.

Unmask for red & spay PS-2 Red.

Unmask for Silver & spray that.

Using PS-36 Translucent Silver or PS-53 Lame Flake would be more reliable, but would not give the same effect.

TBH I can't help thinking I'd probably go with PS-23 Gunmetal instead of chancing getting a silver effect right ...

:)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Schumacher Cougar Classic - Painting Box Art 1 year 5 months ago #73192

I tried one time this flakes effect by using a teeth brush. You put a little paint (white or silver) and it on the finger in the body direction to project small bubbles of paint. Leave it drying and put the base paint.

Schumacher Cougar Classic - Painting Box Art 1 year 5 months ago #73210

For painting tips, I will highly recomend watching Hemistorm RC on Youtube.
He does all his paint work with only Tamiya spray cans.

I would have masked off the windows and stripes and then painted the body PS53 Lame Flake, then PS-5 Black, then the stripes.
You can also use other Tamiya paints than Polycabonate (PS) on bodies, as long as the first paint is PS.
That if you find a color than is not in the PS range, like Black Metallic.

Hemistorm uses that trick quite often.

Schumacher Cougar Classic - Painting Box Art 1 year 5 months ago #73217

You can get a speckled effect by using PS-53 Lame Spray.  It looks pretty good backed by black.

Schumacher Cougar Classic - Painting Box Art 9 months 1 week ago #75913

Tamiya offers a wide range of spray paints with different finishes and effects, so if you could provide more information about what you're looking for, I may be able to provide more specific advice.  Candy Crush

In general, however, here are some tips for achieving a good result when using Tamiya spray paints:

1. Prepare the surface: Make sure the surface to be painted is clean, dry, and free of any contaminants such as oil, grease, or rust. Sand the surface lightly with fine-grit sandpaper for better adhesion.

2. Shake the can well: Shake the can vigorously for at least one minute before use to ensure the paint is well mixed.

3. Test spray: Test spray on a scrap surface or piece of paper to ensure the nozzle is working properly and the paint is flowing smoothly.

4. Spray in a well-ventilated area: Spray in a well-ventilated area or outdoors to avoid inhaling fumes and to allow the paint to dry properly.

5. Apply thin, even coats: Hold the can about 6-8 inches (15-20 cm) from the surface and apply thin, even coats. Avoid spraying too heavily or too close to the surface, which can cause drips, runs, or uneven application.

6. Allow to dry between coats: Allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next. Tamiya recommends waiting at least 10-15 minutes between coats.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.