Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Creating advertising on vehicles 9 years 2 weeks ago #34058

I am in the process of bidding on a vehicle. If I win, I don't want to do an easy to duplicate paint job. I don't think the colour scheme will be a problem but, what are the tricks, if any, to recreating all the vehicles sponsorship decals.

cheers Vincenzo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Creating advertising on vehicles 9 years 2 weeks ago #34060

Attachments:

Creating advertising on vehicles 9 years 2 weeks ago #34063

If it is for personal use I don't see the harm in it. I would think a PC graphics package (Photoshop, Paintshop pro, Gimp etc), a printer and printable vinyl would be the place to start. Either scan them or get images from the Internet.
I think Jonny Retro did an how to article on printing decals. Have a look in the database section.
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Creating advertising on vehicles 9 years 2 weeks ago #34064

Creating advertising on vehicles 9 years 2 weeks ago #34125

Boy do I have a lot to learn about putting my point out there correctly.

Tamiya make a car - copy of a real car - and they supply a certain livery for the car. What I want to do or at least find out if it is possible is how to go about creating a decal set for a different liveried real race car. Does that help?

Cheers Vincenzo

Creating advertising on vehicles 9 years 2 weeks ago #34126

Boy do I have a lot to learn about putting my point out there correctly.

Tamiya make a car - copy of a real car - and they supply a certain livery for the car. What I want to do or at least find out if it is possible is how to go about creating a decal set for a different liveried real race car. Does that help?

Cheers Vincenzo

I guess you would start by finding images from the Internet with the livery you wanted, then process them in Photoshop or similar tk fit the car. The difficult bit will be making a flat decal that would look right once applied to the 3D shape of the car. I suppose you could get a scan of an original decal set to use as a template the substitute the graphics for your own.
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok

Creating advertising on vehicles 9 years 2 weeks ago #34129

It's all there, but to summarise, there are several means to creating a livery (i.e. stripes/colour blocks as well as sponsor logos) at home, all of them are going to mean using some sort of graphics program (I use Paint Shop Pro 5 as it was free with something, fairly powerful but still easy to use) to either manipulate found images or create you own ... and once you've done that, you have a choice of media to make the images physical:

- paint
- clear transfer paper
- white transfer paper
- clear inkjet vinyl
- white inkjet vinyl
- self adhesive vinyl (in many colours) - self cut

(.. and if you want to spend more money & learn another software package, self adhesive vinyl again - but cut on a vinyl cutter/plotter).

... but bear in mind there is no way of creating fine white on clear print at home; white against a coloured background is always a compromise, and some colours on clear just don't work against some paint colours.

The alternative is to find a printer willing to print stuff (including white on clear) for you - but there are many problems there (finding someone willing to do it at all, the cost, probably having to go through a number of iterations to get it right, etc).

Going back to home methods, tell me what you want to achieve & I can tell you how doable I think it is& permutation of media I would use to do it ... The older the livery, probably the easier it would be. For example, my St Michael "Racing Cars" book has a 1984 Marlboro McLaren MP4/2B on the cover, that's a pretty iconic car to me so I'll go with that:

- main body colour (white) & angled colour sections (red): paint, with careful masking.

- Marlboro, Saima, Shell (text), Goodyear, Boss (+ driver name): find logos (or close matching font) on internet & resize/redraw/ whatever, all black print on clear transfer paper OR clear inkjet vinyl (have to try both & see which works best);

- small Marlboro red flash on side, emergency cutoff markers, Shell (shell), driver nationality flag, number on nose: - all coloured prints on clear xfter or vinyl - some will take a bit of experimenting as the colours will probably have to be artificially darkened;

- "Saima" on wind deflector & rear wing ends, number on wing: these are problematic - you can print them as the background colour on white media & see how well they work (my thought, not very), I'd probably omit the text & use self adhesive vinyl in two layer to just recreate the number.

I guess that is quite an easy one in hindsight, looking through the book as a whole I'd estimate that out of the 75 cars in there, 45 are doable at home with little to no compromise, and 30 are somewhere between "needing significant compromise" and "forget it" (mostly white sponsors on blue paint).

:0
The following user(s) Liked this: Vincenzo

Creating advertising on vehicles 9 years 2 weeks ago #34132

This is a picture of what I would like to recreate.

[/URL]

Cheers Vincenzo

Last edit: by Vincenzo.

Creating advertising on vehicles 9 years 2 weeks ago #34133

Your image isn't working :(

Creating advertising on vehicles 9 years 2 weeks ago #34135

I don't understand, it was displaying on my computer.

The paint job looks relatively simple but the sign writing ..........

Cheers Vincenzo

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.