Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya Hotshot 58047 Driveshaft Pin 13 years 6 months ago #132

hi guys

regarding my Hotshot rebuild i have noticed one of the rear drive shafts has a loose pin in its end and when the car is bieng driven it tries to work its way out of the drive cup :( . it would eventually work its way out and be lost luckily i noticed it before it departed!! :) i have had a look around and apparently the drive shafts for these are hard to come by. does anyone know if its possible to repair the original and by what method i can refit the pin?

regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Hotshot 58047 Driveshaft Pin 13 years 6 months ago #135

Yes, the original Hotshot dogbones are hard to find... so a repair might be a good option.
I assume the dogbone originally was heated to fit the pin, but now wear and tear has ade the pin loose.
I have never repaired one of these, but maybe Araldite glue would do the trick?

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Tamiya Hotshot 58047 Driveshaft Pin 13 years 6 months ago #137

i think i will take a look and see if re-heating the dogbone and inserting a new pin would be possible for a proper repair. failing this ill go down the araldite route. thanks for the advice and great website by the way i have used your site countless times for accessing manuals for my re-builds so cant say thank you enough for the help. your collection is very impressive and your resto's are inspiring.

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Tamiya Hotshot 58047 Driveshaft Pin 13 years 6 months ago #144

Yep, replacing pins is usually possible, I've done loads for various models. Best way to pop the pin out is to find a bit of tubing that will fit over the pin one side, & is about 2x longer than the sticky-out bit. THEN wop it in a vice, with the tubing agaist one jaw & a bit of ally plat between the other pin end & the other vice jaw. Being careful to keep it all square, gently crank the vice up & the pin should press out - when the pin end is flush with the end of the driveshaft, open the vice a bit & insert the new pin, then crank the vice up again to press the new pin in & the rest of the old pin out at the same time. Points to note - if you really have to use heat, be gentle as excessive heat will undo the hardening process to the ball end & pins will be a sloppy fit & fall out. If the pin isn't that tight, it's a good idea to put superglue or threadlock on it before you press it in. If you do this, make sure you press the pin in quickly & DON'T STOP or it'll jam & be horrific to get out again. ALWAYS use something soft between the vice jaw & pin end or the pin will 'mushroom' & you won't get it out. I Scratch make my driveshafts nowadays...

Re: Tamiya Hotshot 58047 Driveshaft Pin 13 years 6 months ago #145

Another trick for sloppy pins is to pop them out, slap it in the middle with a blunt cold chisel & small hammer (To make the middle portion slightly not round) then press it back into the driveshaft with a drop of stud/bearing fit or JB weld/instant metal etc. If you HAVE to use araldite, use the slow set stuff cos the 'rapid' really is pants & never sets particularly hard. Superglue won't work for this as it sets with the ABSENCE of air, & if yer pin ain't round, there'll be an air gap

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.